Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Can you get put in a Psych ward for suicidal thoughts?

For over two years I've been seeing counsellors and such for my self harm and I've been diagnosed with depression recently.

In the past three weeks my thoughts have been really dark. I'm constantly thinking about killing myself by an over dose. I've planned everything. The tablets, the date, the time (After christmas because I don't want to mess up my family and friends xmas, I was thinking early February). I just can't decide on location.

These thoughts are so scary that I can't describe it. Every time they make me feel even worse and like I'm going to be sick. I told a friend today that I was considering it but she's the only one who knows. I've no idea when I'll next speak to my counsellor.

I know I'm messed up and totally stupid but knowing that isn't changing this. What can I do? Can I be admitted to a psych ward for these thoughts and increased self harm? In the past 3 days I have 14 cuts on my hips and legs.

I'm so afraid I can't explain it. Please give me some advice.

I'm also 16 years old, female and British incase that helps at all.

thanks x

I know it's part of being a teenager to some extent but I recently found out that when I was very young I had suspected depression as I'd withdrawl from people for sometimes an hour or somethimes a week at a time. I'm talking like age 3 onwards here.

Things just got worse when my brother, who's autistic and has ADHD went on drugs and my Granddad died. Things have gone downhill.

Yes, you can be hospitalized and get therapy. I'm not sure how you would go about it, but your family could take you to a hospital.

Just make sure you go to a good place where you can get real help and not a place where they will just shove pills down your throat and make you talk about your feelings while the therapist just sits and stares at you. You need to get to the root of your problems. Just don't let them put you on a lot of dangerous medication.

It may just be hormones, but I don't like to say that because you may have some real emotional issues to deal with.

Medicine won't cure you, it will only take away the pain temporarily with some harsh side effects - especially for a 16 year old. Getting to the root of your problem and dealing with it is what you need.

Withdrawing from people is normal - you can't be around people 24/7 without wanting alone time and space. If what you put in your additional details is what is making you depressed then what you would need is grief counseling. If you have been depressed since you were younger then it's something else. Educate yourself on depression and get therapy(by therapy, I don't mean drugs).

14 cuts on your hips & legs in 3 days is nothing in terms of increased self harm. The fact that you have planned this out for February means that it is more suicidal ideation than you being acute suicidal. So in that case, what they are more likely to do is to have increased contact with your counsellor & if you don't already see one intervention by a psychiatrist who will make the call on whether or not you are admitted. Yes they would have the power to however you are not at immediate risk so it is unlikely. Chances are by February your feeling will change (suicidal thoughts actually come in waves & once you have ridden out the wave you don't act on the thoughts) so it is more likely you will have increased monitoring without admission.

Yes. There are so many things in life you’re going to miss out on if you do. I totally understand, but don't. Calm down and think it through. Think about all the people you'll be hurting. Killing yourself won't do anything to help it you will miss out on life. You matter to everybody and you were put on the earth for a reason. Death is not meant for you to pick when. You have a reason to be here just like everyone else and you are very important. Talk to someone you trust.

If you feel suicidal, please call the suicide hotline immediately.

1-800-273-8255

or

1-800-784-2433

http://suicidehotlines.com/national.html

• Nathan

yes you can be put into a Psych ward and I would say that it might be the best thing for you to get treatment for your depression in a Psych ward.I would also get help for your depression and the reason that I say this is because I also have depression but I was able to get help for it.And the other reason that I would get help for your depression is that I would just feel so awful if you were to kill your self.I would also recommend that you talk to your parents and ex plane to them how you are feeling that is though if you have a good relationship with them.I would also recommend that you talk to a psychiatrist and ex plane to him or her how you are feeling and see if they can try to prescribe to you the right medication to try and help you control your depression so that you can start to feel better a little bit and not so sad all of the time.Please don't think that I am being disrespectful because I am not at all. And I would also say that I had treatment for my depression in a Psych ward and it helped me a lot a whole lot so I think it can help you too if you give it a chance.

"Risk of harm to oneself or another" is the standard, so yes, you can be committed against your will. It would be better to be admitted though.

Suicide is the stupidest thing a person can try, thoughts change, life changes. You don't know what great things the future has in store for you.

I was that stupid, and am full of joy now, because I was unsuccessful.

God Bless You.

yes, you can be admitted for that.. maybe you should consider admitting yourself.

are you on depression medicine? sometimes they can give you suicidal thoughts also, and if you are maybe you need to speak to someone immediately so you can get off of them.. and try a different one, if needed.

you should seriously consider having yourself put in one though, killing yourself is a very selfish act. if you admit yourself, at least you're trying to be better. and your family and friends should see that.

Yes, you can. In fact, that is probably the best thing for you. I know it is hard and scary, but you are a danger to yourself and you need to be taken care of right now. Let someone do that for you. Being afraid is normal. Please get someone to take you to get help. It is the best thing for you in this moment.

Yes, if a doctor thinks you are at a stage which your normal life functioning is impaired and you are in danger of harming yourself or others.

you NEED to tell someone about this...not just a friend. when i was your age, i went through the same thing. i spoke my my parents and my counselor. with proper therapy and medication, those thoughts will go away. there is no need for you to feel this way...honestly i really think that a lot of people your age go through it, but it will pass. it really is just part of growing up...some people feel it stronger than others. please don't follow through with your "plan". you will break a lot of hearts if you do!