Your opinion on my Homosexual Respect Persuasive Essay (It's long but may inspire you)?

‘According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2000 there were 8.8 million openly gay, lesbian and bisexual people in the USA.’ That is a survey result of real, American people. They walk our streets, they vote, they care for our kids, and they help defend our country. Should we still treat them with less respect than heterosexuals? I think not. I think, as individuals, we ought to change this country for the better. Homosexuals should not only be given the legal equal rights to straights, but equal respect and support.

When I say ‘Dancing stand-up comedian,’ who first comes to mind? Probably Ellen DeGeneres, right? She’s married to her Lesbian partner, Portia De Rossi. She’s also the voice of Dory the fish; a famous children’s movie character from Finding Nemo. What about Neil Patrick Harris? He was in Doogie Howser, M.D. He’s on shows you and your family probably watch on networks like NBC, FOX and ABC. He’s openly gay. Have you ever heard of Harvey Milk? He was the first gay man to be elected to public office in California. He even won a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors! These people fought their entire life to earn a reputation they deserved. They lost many fans when people found out they were homosexual. Why? People still subconsciously stereotype homosexuals as being flamboyant, bad, or queer; not capable of handling the same jobs as heterosexuals.

In the Declaration of Independence, it states, ‘All men are created equal.’ This means that all citizens of the United States of America should have equal treatment to everyone else. Caucasian, African-American, Latino, Asian, Atheist, Christian, Jewish or Muslim, it doesn’t matter what religion you abide by or what race you are; you have equal rights. So, why is stereo-typing and discriminating someone of a different sexual orientation ‘okay’ in most American culture, if racism is frowned upon and most Nazi-like activity considered a hate crime in modern times?

If you watch national news, you might have seen a news story about high school student, Constance McMillen. Her school was holding a prom, and she wanted to bring her girlfriend. The school threatened to cancel the entire prom unless she wore a dress and brought a boy. She then refused and eventually the school followed through on the threat. Constance later appeared on Ellen DeGeneres who helped her hold a prom of her own accord.

Just this year, Seth Walsh, Justin Aaberg, Billy Lucas, Tyler Clementi, and Asher Brown, all teens between 13 and 18; killed themselves after years of bullying and discrimination of their sexual orientation by peers. Over 30% of gay teens reported to consider or attempt suicide due to bullying in school. In many cases, teachers did not scold children for bullying, and others were the bullies themselves. As the number of deaths tallied higher, people began to react. YouTube videos were made, organizations like It Gets Better were started, people began to realize how serious bullying has become.

Gay site model, Zachary Murray, encouraged, ‘I think laws against gay marriage are unconstitutional, the constitution states that all Americans have the right to pursue happiness. Well, being happily married to your partner isn't harming anyone. Whether or not that gay man is married, isn't going to change his disinterest in women.’ What about the people who don’t support homosexuals? Who are the big celebrities that put people down for who they love? Perez Hilton is an example. Perez is an American blogger who covers gossip in the celebrity world. He has been known to having a cocky and superior attitude and outing accused closeted stars. While he is openly gay, himself, should he really pressure others on their struggle of coming out of the closet? Carrie Prejean, quickly dethroned, short-lived, Miss California 2010, has been known to state that the Bible says gay-marriage is wrong, but never says breast implants aren’t. Are these the people we should look up to?

While everyone in America is allowed to be what ever religion they choose, there are legal limits on behavior. Should there be laws making certain choices illegal, just because a fraction of the country’s population believes that choice is wrong? Should an extremist be allowed to kill someone due to the sole fact that that someone is not an extremist? Gay-marriage is a touchy topic in the political and religious world. Canada, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Iceland, and South Africa have all approved same- sex marriage, yet only 5 states out of 50 in the USA allow gay-couples to get married.

The organizations of LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) and YES

(Youth Enrichment Program) have done a tremendous amount of educating for the American public. They offer youth programs, pamphlets, ‘written-for-gays-by-gays’ magazines and newspapers, and offer hotlines for sexual orientation-questioning youth. The ‘It Gets Better’ campaign has a variety of YouTube videos made by celebrities like

Chester Bennington, Adam Lambert, Linkin Park, Jason Derulo, Ke$ha, and even Justin

Beiber; encouraging people of all ages to stay strong through the discrimination, and not

partake in the bullying, themselves.

You may be asking yourself, ‘What can I do? I’m only one person,’ or perhaps you are thinking about your religion, and that it would be wrong to let gay-couples get married, or American tradition, and how you’ve been raised to think homosexuals are strange and unnatural. How would you feel if your best friend, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son came to you tod

today*, and told you in confidence that they were attracted to someone of the same gender? Would you turn them away? Would you tell them they’re crazy or wrong? I would hope you would find a way to support them. I would hope you would not harass or tease them for their uniqueness.

‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable Rights; that among these, are

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness…’

@Ululator, it's an instructed Freshman -Persuasive- High school essay, I was told to use as many statistics and facts in it as possible, so I did what I was told. Also it had to be between 3 to 4 pages so I didn't have enough page room to expand. (Very disappointing...I know...) Thanks to everyone who took the time to read it! ♥

@Shock, I'll add in Mexico. (:

@Damien, fixed it. Thank you! ♥

@aabb, 4 days. (:

Favorite Answer

It's far too informal for an essay. Also, you have mode some good points but then only written a tiny bit about each. Expansion and clarification would be good. It would make a good speech though. It's not the stats that I don't like, but the rhetoric (which should be used in a speech, not on essay). For example, the bit about Ellen DeGeneres - it's bad practice to talk to the audience in a formal essay.

• Damien

It's " discriminating against" in the last sentence of the third paragraph, in case it's not just a typo on here. I like the points you have made. You ask a lot of questions. Some of them might be best followed with a "I have seen/found" or one or too "I have come to think" or "in my opinion". It is persuasive and seems fairly passionate too. Good work, good luck.

Awesome

1

Source(s): Have Bigger Boobs Naturally http://emuy.info/NaturalBreastEnlargement/?VsB6

Bravo!!!!!!! I love it! But you just forgot one country that allows gay marriage, Mexico ! But asides from that, I loved it!

Source(s): EDIT: Who was the betch who thumbs me down?

i like it nice job :)

may i ask how long did it take you to write this