what are all of the different sewing machine brands?

I am a new sewer and I want to get a sewing machine for Christmas. I want a Singer, but some of my friends say that the other brands are better.

I want to look at all of the brands, but I have absolutely no idea what brands there are...

Please help! hahaha

Favorite Answer

I teach sewing, so I've seen pretty much everything, from top of the line Pfaffs to 30$ walmart specials. Needless to say, you often get what you pay for, the top of the line Pfaff had me drooling, while the walmart special was mostly junk. WHERE you buy is as important as WHAT you buy.

Right now Janome is one of the best brands on the market. They sell machines in all price ranges for all levels of ability, from beginner to professional. Their machines come in a variety of price points with stitch packages for garments, home dec, quilting whatever. They take standard lo-shank or snap on presser feet and generic plastic bobbins and ordinary household needles available everywhere. You can use all the latest and greatest presser feet and it's a brand that is always considered when notions manufacturers are making new notions. Janomes are the one brand that give most of my students the fewest trouble. Many Sears Kenmore machines are made by Janome, look for the 385-xxxxxxxx model number. I have sewn expensively on Janomes and any trouble has always been my fault. I have several Janome.

Moving up the ranks (I've personally tested these) is Brother. They make some good entry level machines for the casual user who wants to sew clothes, simple home accessories and the like. They are lower priced, take low shank feet and standard needles. These were supplied for a session I gave on alteration basics.

Babylock makes some very good machines. These are a little harder to find, only available through dealers but worth looking for. They make mid-priced to top of the line machines. I have a babylock serger and a babylock needlefelter.

Singer is hit or miss. Singers from a Singer Dealerships are much better than the cheap ones you get at walmart. If you buy a singer get it from an authorized Singer dealer. If there are any troubles you can get it repaired, exchanged or replaced. There sergers are good, and their industrial machines are reliable workhorses. I have three industrial Singers and they do the bulk of my garment construction.

Bernina is a top of the line brand that makes high quality top performing machines. They are expensive and for the money you don't get the same number of stitches that you would get in a janome or Brother for the same money. You will get a long lasting, hard working machine. Berninas do not take generic feet, you need to buy special Bernina feet and accessories. This adds to the expense of owning a bernina

Pfaff is the very best brand available today. They specialize in top of the line machines with extensive stitch packages for almost everything you might want to make, some have large embroidery systems with huge hoops, and their mechanical and electronics are all top-notch. They make the most expensive home machine and it one that does huge embroidery patterns and all your garment sewing AND lets you design both embroideries and your own stitch patterns. So if you've ever wished you could have a fancier version of that applique stitch, you can program your own! Of course you pay for all this, but a pfaff is a machine that you will buy ones then use for the rest of your life. I have a performance 2056? I think... and I use it for all my buttonholes, including custom designed buttonholes.

Husqvarna -the guys who make chainsaws and lawnmowers -also make sewing machines. These are similar to pfaff and bernina, well made, good performers that cost a bit more.

White machines are harder to find, but you can get some good quality machines for good prices. A few models are a bit tricky to thread, like the one my mom has, but they are solid performers who give their owners few troubles.

Brands to avoid: Elna, simply because it is far too expensive for what you get and even there accessories are ridiculously priced. . Euro Pro -cheap junk, this brand give student more troubles that any other brand. Anything from walmart, price club, costco or other big box stores. Singer machine under 150$ most machines under 150$ tend to be poor quality. you get what you pay for, more money, more features and better quality -less money, few features and poor quality.

Do buy from a real sewing machine dealer. The dealer will help you pick the best machine for your needs, they will offer you operation lessons, they can sell bobbins, extra feet, needles and other accessories. The dealer will also have a technician who can repair your machine and give it a once a year tune up so it stays in tip-top working condition.

Do a search for all the big brands, each has large websites with all the machines, and you can compare models within the brand. Patternreview has reviews from users who have bought different models, so do check out their reviews. Also allbrands.com carries all the brands, so you can see at a glace all the models that are available and compare across brands.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

http://www.allbrands.com/

• Lisa H

singer, brother, kenmore, bernina, pfaff. are among the biggest brands. i have a pfaff which is a bit more expensive than a singer. but I do a lot of quilting and it fit my needs.

singer has been around forever. i would personally go to a store that specializes in sewing machines and ask them for advice. try them out.

my mom has a bernina and I completely hate it. it is too fancy, too digital and very difficult to use. my pfaff is very simple. no real whistles and bells, gets the job done.

You probably don't want to look at ALL the brands. Many of the least-known brands are nearly impossible to find parts for, repair, etc.,etc. Some aren't worth shelf space.

Here's my standard beginner sewing machine sermon: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201005... and http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtVc8...

Choose something you can get service and parts for. Disposable machines aren't worth it, imho.

And Singer is not the brand it once was...

Source(s): 50 years of sewing

it depends what brand you inter change with the other