what is a good reliable but under 300 dollar .45 ACP pistol?

im lookin for a .45 ACP pistol that is reliable in emergency situations and wont jam but offer a fair and under $300 price tag. perferable not a compact or sub compct, full sizefor openside carry, 1911 style possibly. i also would likea 1991 style .22LR pistol , i looked at the Chiappa model .22 on 1991-22.com but i cant find one used and cheaper than what the site offers. im a young teen looking for a pistol fo hiking an fishing and hunting in mountain ranges without having to carry a rifle to fish . i wanton used to kind of beat around since ima kid

Favorite Answer

www.hi-pointfirearms.com has a wide selection of semi auto pistols! The .45ACP is under $300.

Well I see I have two thumbs down already! That's funny!

As for the reviewer who wants to say hi point is not worth it. Many people think that they are some sort of Saturday Night Special, well I say it's a gun that some people can afford! Not every one wants the pretty nickel plated $2000 handgun! I have never had any problems with my 9mm, it does not weigh anywhere close to a deer rifle. So please don't tell that it does. Maybe you have more money than you know what to do with, but not everyone does! Does your Glock or Taurus carry a lifetime free repair and labor warranty? I would guess the answer is no! My gun IS well made. It carries no part made in Taiwan or China, and has not failed even after putting nearly 1000 rounds through it! You want a pleasingly asthetic gun to look at and show off, I want agun that gets the job done!

As for the hipoint hater who posted an article try this from a reputable reviewer:

Budget blaster: Hi-Point C9 9mm

Guns Magazine, Feb, 2007 by John Taffin

12Next

Question time. How much would you pay for a brand-new, 9-shot, American-made 9mm semiauto with very easy to see sights, shoots to point of aim and total reliability thrown in? Would $500 sound reasonable? Sounds like a great bargain doesn't it? Now what if I told you it is possible to have all of this for only $149!!

That is not the sale price, that is not the wholesale price, that is not the best bargaining price--that is actually the retail price of the Hi-Point C9 9mm semiautomatic pistol.

OK, there is one drawback. It's ugly! Not as ugly as the pictures I've seen with the added comp and extended magazine, however it is not what you would call a swan, more like an ugly duckling. When I bring out my ivory stocked, engraved Colt Series 70 .45, the Hi-Point runs and hides behind the couch, when my Wilson .38 Super with giraffe bone grips enters the room, it peeks out from its hiding place. However, when someone enters with a Glock or some of the other similarly styled semiauto, the Hi-Point C9 boldly enters the room.

Wait! There's More

In addition to all of the other things mentioned, the Hi-Point C9 comes with a lifetime warranty and a second optional ghost-ring-style rear sight. The regular sighting system consists of a square notch rear sight with two red dots mated up with a sloping front sight with an inlaid white strip, both of which are very easy to see and set to hit point of aim.

The Model C9 is a straight blowback 9mm with a 3 1/2" barrel, polymer (tested) or aluminum frame, 1911-style magazine release, 8-shot magazine, magazine disconnect safety, easily operated thumb safety, and the slide locks back after the last round is fired. Grips are black polymer mated up with a grip frame with serrations both front and back and it fits my hand just about perfectly.

There are a few things not provided for the $149 price tag. There are no warning labels to be found anywhere on the C9, nor does it come with any kind of internal locking device. It does come with the now mandatory, or nearly so, trigger-locking device as well as a printed warning from the Massachusetts Attorney General. It also does not come with what one would call a great trigger. According to the Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Scale, the trigger pull on this single action semiautomatic is right at 11 1/2 pounds, yet it did not keep me from shooting some excellent groups.

The following results were obtained shooting the C9 at a combat-shooting distance of seven yards. All groups shot to point of aim and there were no malfunctions except one idiosyncrasy: the C9 will not feed the last round out of the magazine of Black Hills 115-grain JHP P ammo. If I were to carry this particular excellent shooting round, I would place one round of 115 FMJ in the magazine first for total reliability.

The C9 is definitely one of the all-time bargains ever offered to shooters ranking right up there with the old $15 war surplus firearms available when I was a teenager. Fifteen bucks was a whole lot harder to come by in 1956 than $149 is now.

• ?

To jump in on the Hi-Point debate...

I once made the mistake of purchasing a hi-point pistol (I traded it on .357 from a guy who just had to have a semi). I had been told that they were "not bad guns" but were, in the opinion of the salesperson, a better value than the other less expensive guns on the shelf. What the hi-point is, is a very, very basic gun. Their blow-back operation is the least complex of any semi-auto firearm design, and this should help out in the accuracy department (particularly if shot from a vice, as the barrel is permanently affixed to the frame). The downside is the ergonomics. Because of the blow-back operation they are top heavy! They may not weight as much as a deer rifle, but they feel like it due to that slide on top. It clunks back and forth with every shot making perceived recoil actually greater. They are NOT "well made" they are made as cheaply as possible and it does show if you look at them. Mine was reasonably reliable. Rounds would sometimes nosedive into the feed ramp and get a failure to feed that was quickly resolved with a "tap". I believe this could have been fixed by tweaking the magazine, but for what I was using it for it didn't really bother me. In conclusion for the hi-point, they will work and if they are the only thing you can afford they are better than nothing. If you can possibly afford something else, I would really recommend it.

To actually answer the question, you may be able to find a Rock Island Armory GI model for close to what you are looking to pay. I recently looked at buying one of these myself, but after fondling it for a few minutes I decided that it was not really as good a deal as I wanted it to be. Another option may be a Taurus 24/7. They feel and shoot pretty well. They will hold more shots than a 1911 will, but you loose the look of the 1911.

• Mr.357

The Hi-Point is not normally reliable, but it is under $300. You will probably have to look around for a used one that is a brand that is normally reliable, but for that price, there may be something wrong with the pistol. You could look at revolvers. You should be able to find a decent used .357 Mag for around $300. I did see a new Rock Island 1911 at a gun show that was new and $380 if you can go over the $300 limit a little.

I recently bought a gorgeous springfield 1911 loaded series .45 ACP. it costed me $10-11 hundred dollars. Apparently that one still isnt the top of the line. They have models that go all the way up to $3500!!! Their lowest end was around 4-500. To be honest with you I was researching prices all over the internet, all over the US and I haven't EVER seen one as cheap as your looking. However, 2 weeks ago i found a nice site sourced at the bottom.

Auction arms is like the eBay for guns and supplies and I've found amazing deals on there. If there was ever a chance at finding what you are looking for than this would be it.

Another observation that I made while searching: the bigger that caliber gets, the more money its going to cost you. I've found little 22's that will be $300 but for a 45 I'm not so sure...if you do find it let me know! If you do happen to find one, i can guarantee you it will be a POS :) I would use the same advice someone gave me. Save your money and when you have it, get what you want. My springfield has a lifetime guarantee and im going to take it to the grave with me.

Pete

SGT/USMC

0933 Weapons Instructor

Source(s): www.auctionarms.com

The Best 45 Acp Pistol

The Glock will bring you in under $600, maybe the xd as well. There are several makes of 1911 style pistols, most of them will be about 600 or more though. Kimber and Springfield Armory are probably the best bang for your buck, as they are basic 1911's with some custom features. A decent 1911 will cost you anywhere from 550-2000 plus.

He specifically stated GOOD and RELIABLE, neither of which a HP is. But it's less than 300 but more than it's worth. It's also definitely not a compact, they weigh as much as my hunting rifles.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find a good 1911 in the price range. Springfield GI is going to run around 450, used glock around 450. If it was my money I'd save a bit longer instead of just throw money at a pistol.

Academy has a sale on this week, you can get a S&W Sigma (9mm or 40 cal) or a Taurus 24/7 (9mm,40, or 45) compact or service size pistol for $299. Thats a bargain price for the Taurus, but too much for the Sigma.

I bought a Glock 37 on clearance for $379. The kicker there is it's 45 GAP Not 45 ACP, so ammo costs a little more.

Your price point is a little low, shopping used guns might help.

• TDM

Nothing new. Look for a used Ruger P-90. Good gun, used should be in your price range.