Rasa
Rasa asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Isn't assigning Julian Assange terrorist status one more step to authoritarianism?

Since when did we decide terrorist meant "anyone who annoys the government?" That could be a lot of people; it could be anyone.

A terrorist is someone who uses terror as a strategy for some goal. Assange has no goal; he exposes whatever secrets he finds and feels like exposing because he, like many, think governments all over the world have too many secrets. Even if his activity is illegal, it can hardly be seen as inciting terror, especially not in civilians.

Disagreeing with him or wanting to hold him accountable is one thing, but to designate him a terrorist is another, and I firmly believe it should not be done because it will just be one more expansion of our already overpowered government.

What do you think?

@Farcry: Good point, but I don't see the relation to my question. Julian Assange is an Australian who posts secret/classified information he obtains from people, not an extremist middle easterner.

The topic is whether or not calling him a terrorist is actually dangerous to do, not that you disagree/agree with him.

@E.M.G: So I guess the Pentagon papers were espionage and treason?

You can't commit treason unless your a citizen btw.

@Mark Bailey: There has been no proof that his information has resulted in death, so don't just go around saying it like it's a fact.

Favorite Answer

Assange is guilty of nothing, yet we're sitting idle as OUR government puts out hits on a regular citizen. It's absolutely outrageous, but I guess we're used to ignoring the message and shooting the messenger.

You have a point.

We should be living in a world of peace, love, freedom. Complete transparency in all aspects, no secrets. We should have no discrimination of any sort. No poverty, no starvation.

Too bad we live in a world where most people want to kill us for the freedoms and luxuries we have. Where racial discrimination runs rampant. Where Africa faces massive genocides and entire countries lack the supplies necessary to feed their people. Where people manipulate the world's economy for their personal gain. Where we don't offer services to the most in need, but to those with the most green. We don't live in a world of truth. We live in a world of lies and in that world I would much prefer an "Overpowered" America to live in than an underpowered.

I've been to other countries, seen what they had to offer and seen what they took from others.

Be glad your an american and you have the freedoms you do. And be grievous that, while he claims his goal is noble, assange goes about it in a way that is devoid of logic. He endangers lives including yours and jeopardizes the very freedoms you enjoy.

Even if he didn't kill anyone with the information, he has jeopardized thousands of lives that work everyday making sure you get to eat your pizza, sit on your couch and watch your two and a half men. He targeted sites, that if attacked, would be critical to our national security. That in and of itself is enough is it not? Providing information on our weaknesses that terrorists have access to fits the definition. Freedom doesn't come without its price. For instance you could be speaking German right now, or Russian, Italian, Japanese, French, Korean, the list goes on.

The only problem I have with it is that he published the names of Afghanistan people who were helping us and Mark Bailey didn't say they did kill any of those people he said they may have been killed, you do not know that they have not but you can bet their lives are in danger and they will likely end up in the United States claiming asylum if they live long enough. With the exception of those names I am fine with it, maybe it will strike fear in the heart of our leaders and they will think twice before they engage in less than appropriate behavior. The Army guy who gave him the info is screwed though, he ended his career and possibly his life as he knew it - hope he still thinks it was worth it.

I wouldn't go as high as hero status as someone suggested, after all he put the lives of informants from hostile nations who were helping US troops in danger and some may have lost their life for it BUT we as a nation are better off when much of the behind closed door deals are exposed. You can of course go too far but I don't see as he went too far (except with the names of informants).

PFC Manning however should be tried in military court for stealing classified documents which will land him in the Brig for life as is appropriate. There are other charges that could be tossed his way but the stealing of classified documents is a slam dunk.

I think if your government is too weak to deal with its enemies, you will not have a country very long. Does he expose the secrets of other countries? Did he expose Climate-gate? I don't know. I'm just asking if he just targets the US or does he collect secrets from other countries as well? My feeling is that if he did this to Russia or China, he would be dead by now. They kill their own people for such mischief.

I'd seriously support anyone who can kick a politician's behind provided it doesn't involve violence. I don't see any reason to get him. His leaks are actually good because they teach the government a lesson about avoiding this kind of incident in the future.

It doesn't seem that he's done anything illegal. He hasn't threatened to kill or harm anyone, no one has been killed or harmed as a result of the release (only embarrassed, and rightfully so). This is just a continued cheapening of the word "terrorism."

Hint to the dim: if the person in question isn't trying to use asymmetrical attacks against non-military targets to spread fear, then that person is NOT A TERRORIST.

• LadyB

Assange is this generation's Woodward and Bernstein.

But in the sixties, we knew how to treat our heroes who exposed the truth.

Now the Cons just want to kill him to shut him up!

I don't particularly think that middle-eastern extremist groups are the types to have any kind of military intelligence-related sophistication, i don't really think that our guys working behind the curtains have anything to fear.

Imo.

• PoBoy

No, this moron knew what he was doing could damage international relationship, result in deaths, and did it anyway.

My problem is the gutless governments who think that "calling him names" is a solution. Can you imagine this fool publishing classified KBG documents around the time of, say, the Cuban Missile Crisis? Over/under on the number of days he would have had left?