About this whole "rift" between LG and transsexuals?

I've been in or on the fringes of the trans community since the early 1980's in San Francisco. Apart from the whole "Transsexual Empire" thing - and, now that I think about it, I only heard about that one and never saw it, I've never seen any 'rift' between trans and gay/lesbian. I've had many gay and lesbian friends and acquaintances during that time, I've been to a number of gay bars and clubs. I've never been treated with anything but warmth and acceptance, and I've never seen transpeople do anything but that to gays. Has anyone ever actually experienced the effects of this soi disant "rift", or is this one of those things that everyone knows about because they've heard about it happening somewhere else?

Michael - sorry about the missing 'B'. I was responding to a comment in another question that didn't mention bi's, and I simply left it out. Mark it down to rapidly encroaching senility.

Annah - Yeah, I've seen the backbiting between trans - especially transwomen - a lot, too. That's part of the reason I've occasionally absented myself from the community. Well, that and thirteen years of "maybe if I don't look at it, it'll go away." That's really a trans issue, though, as I'm sure you're aware, and nothing to do with GLB.

John - I would suggest that the predominance of the answers I've received so far would indicate that this is your problem, not a general one. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it would not appear to be supported by actual, you know, facts.

Favorite Answer

you never see it in real life.

I am a post op transgirl and MANY of my friends are gays, straights, bis and lesbians.

I never had an issue with any lesbian or gay person. EVER. Not in person.

On the internet its an entirely different ballpark. You have people who love the monitor as their security blanket and has no issue about hurting anyone. However, this is a human issue...not a LG issue.

On the other hand, I have seen Transsexuals putting down other transsexuals all the time; whether its on the internet or real life. I am a gender psychologist but I also used to facilitate tg groups. I stopped being a facilitator because when you get three or more transgender people in a room together it can get messy. Jealously is a big factor in transsexuals creating a rift with others. For example, there's a transsexual on yahoo questions who is a regular. I had to private my posting history because she is very jealous of my career and me being post op.

It's very sad but very true.

Bisexuals get a lot of rift too. Many people unfairly judge them which is wrong.

@John: Go back into your man cave.

Source(s): Psy.D Gender Psychologist and transgirl

I've never noticed anything of the sort, but then again, I'm only 21, and not really into the scene. I also hear people talk about how gay men and lesbians can't stand each other, but I've almost never noticed this in real life. If anything I think I often would rather be friends with lesbians than some of the gay guys I know.

Sometimes I think that these so-called rifts: LGB vs T, LG vs B, L vs G, and any other possible combination you can think of, are just viscous stereotypes put out by people who try to make us look unstable as a community. Something along the lines of if LGBT can't even get along with each other, how can they possibly be contributing members of normal society. These sort of rumors and stereotypes certainly do make us look bad in any case.

I never knew there was a rift.

It's true that trans people were under-represented here in Ireland until Pride this year, when the Pride leader was a trans woman. But a real "rift", I've never experienced.

I've heard gay people speak out against transsexuals online, but I've never seen it in practice.

Also, what happened to the "B" in your main question?

Actually, there's never been a real union. Trannies are johnny-come-latelies to the Gay Liberation movement, who've affixed themselves to it apparently because they covet the political gains and community resources of the established organizations. The two groups have widely different aims and purposes, and often find their alliance more of a mutual impediment than mutually beneficial.