could anyone explain plessy v ferguson case?

I have to do a report for it but i don't really understand what rthe websites are telling me. Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

At issue in Plessy v. Ferguson was an 1890 Louisiana law that required passenger trains operating within the state to provide "equal but separate" accommodations for "white and colored races." The Supreme Court upheld the law by a 7-1 vote, in the process putting a stamp of approval on all laws that mandated racial segregation. In his majority opinion, Justice Henry Billings Brown concluded that the Fourteenth Amendment "could not have intended to abolish distinctions based upon color, or to enforce social, as distinguished from political, equality, or a commingling of the two races upon terms unsatisfactory to either."

Justice John M. Harlan, the lone dissenter, responded that the "arbitrary separation of citizens on the basis of race" was equivalent to imposing a "badge of servitude" on African Americans. He contended that the real intent of the law was not to provide equal accommodations but to compel African Americans "to keep to themselves." This was intolerable because "our Constitution is color-blind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens." Nevertheless, Plessy was the law of the land until 1954.

• Milan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Ok, so Homer Plessy was a dude who was 7/8 white and 1/8 black. He tried sitting at the front of the train right after the end of the Civil War when slaves were apparently "free". The train manager (Ferguson) pressed charges when Plessy refused to move. Plessy said making him move was a violation of the Emancipation Proclamation which freed all slaves and gave them rights equal to whites. Ferguson said that the seats were "Separate but Equal", and the judge pleaded Plessy guilty and sent him to jail. This was the first recorded instance of Segregation in America.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I am not sure what you don't understand. In those days Blacks had to sit in a different car on the train from Whites. Plessy contested it by refusing to leave the White only car. The idea was to get a ruling by the courts that separate facilities was discriminatory. Plessy lost so facilities remained 'separate but equal' for a time, that is, if the facilities were of equal quality, say schools or lunch counters, it was OK to enforce separation of the races. Yeah, crazy, I know.

http://www.google.com/search?q=plessy+v+ferguson&i...

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896), is a landmark united states of america ultimate courtroom determination interior the jurisprudence of america, upholding the constitutionality of racial segregation even in public lodging (somewhat railroads), under the doctrine of "separate yet equivalent". the determination became surpassed down by potential of a vote of 7 to a million, with maximum human beings opinion written by potential of Justice Henry Billings Brown and the dissent written by potential of Justice John Marshall Harlan, with Justice David Josiah Brewer not partaking hence. "Separate yet equivalent" remained common doctrine in U.S. regulation till its very final repudiation interior the later ultimate courtroom determination Brown v. Board of training (1954).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.