Your opinions on the Confederate Flag?

I was wondering what people thought about the Confederate flag and it's legality in the US... personally, I think it should be banned. More so because it represents rebellion against the US government than because it has racist feelings associated with it, even though that's a reason too. When the Smith Act was made (to combat Communism), it was considered constitutional (for a while), and lets not forget the Sedition Act, which was also considered constitutional for a while. I'd like to see people opinions on this. Best argument gets best answer!

Best Answer

Myself I like the stars and bars, and I fly it with pride occasionally. If those of you that are offended by it don't like it, then don't look at it!

And I really don't care if you give me the best answer or not. You hold the best answer out there like some sort of prize, and I am sure you are a liberal so a best answer from you would bother me more than you not choosing my answer as the best answer.

It wouldn't bother me in the least. The confederate flag was the flag of the Southern States at a time in history and since it had little or nothing to do with the slavery issue as everyone has made it out to be, there is no reason to be offended. The North and the South had slaves and I don't recall anyone claiming our Stars and Stripes are offensive.

The flag offers a symbol of history and a regional variation much nurtured by many nations to show diversity , character , lineage , a popular symbol and an attractive one as far as flags go . To dwell on any negatives is probably a projection of ones own psyche . Fly it proud , its assocition with rebellion is also just some psychological complex that needs to considered . As a symbol it attracts attention , so good . It is a better layout than the stars and stripes . x

The Confederate Flags, Stars and Bars, Battle Flag, 2nd National, 3rd National, Bonnie Blue. Most southern state flags (Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia) were also flown in rebelion since regiments in the Confederate army were from a particular southern state. By your reasoning aside from the obvious 1st Amendment infringments would see the repeal of the state flag from every southern state that was flown in rebellion during the American Civil War? (laugh).

Do you realize that our nation was born in rebellion? Gadsen, Grand Union, The "Betsy Ross", Naval Jack, Join or Die, Brandywine (7th Pennsylvania Colors), Appeal to Heaven. That it too reminds us that we have a sovereign right to question our government and our representitives as citizens.

Would we cease to fly the Grand Union or the Gadsen because a 21st century visting tory might find it objectionable? NO! As a great grandson of a confederate veteran I realize the context in which my friends of color may look upon the battle flag, So personally I opt for the 1st National (stars and bars) to represent the south and its role during the Civil War. However the battle flags role is no less significant, and it should be careful and venerated reminder of our cherished past Union, Confederate, Black or White of the days when we were still coming to terms with the idea of equal liberty for ALL.

Communism? Jefferson Davis suffered just as much heat politically in the south as Lincoln did in the union. Both sides had free press, demonstrations, riots, and noone was sent to the gulag or executed as a political prisoner (It could be said that the American Civil War was perhaps the bloodiest family arguement, and most soldiers and politicians were not going to execute someone they went to school with or called brother), this is something European historians have a hard time comprehending when researching the war, and studying why a particular commander made a particularly seemingly illogical decision. Communism would be the banning of the flag, in sharp contrast to our protections of free expression provided by the 1st Amendment.

In fact the battle flag was documented to have flown in the trenches of WWI and WWII by US infantry regiments who were predominately from the south, against the opposing German and eventually Nazi soldiers.

I have to rebut on your terms when referring to the acts which WERE political safeguards during the cold war. While these executive acts WERE in place during that time, they did not withstand the test of the Courts and were summarily declared unconstitutional. That is why these acts are reffered to in the past tense of were, was, and no more :).

Treason requires an overt act, presumably an act of war against the United States or by such an act which would jeopardize the stability and safety or our government and its people by posing as a clear and present danger to the republic. Flying a Confederate flag does not give Iran uranium enrichment technology nor does it support our enemies overseas or at home.

I am sorry to say that your arguement of banning the flag since it was being flown in rebellion would not stand the test of constitutionality. Even on the world stage where like in the US, historic reenactments take place of other Civil Wars, the United Kingdom for example where numerous flags were flown against the monarchy government are still flown in historic and pagentry displays from Kent to the Shetland. Where rebels like William Wallace and the "Bruce" stand as historic edifices outside the regimental headquarters of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Today, its no different. Historic displays of the Confederate Flag abound, re-enactments, museums, faires etc. Most you can get as a handkerchief or as a antenna pennant, with most people having no Neo Nazi or Anti Sematic agenda or affiliation. It has less to do with gross hate, and has everything to do with simply wanting to be a rebel.

• t

It's a 1st Amendment right to display the Confederate Flag. No question about it. I could see how people could be offended by it but it's just a flag.

Ist amendment of the constitution FREEDOM OF SPEECH no matter how ridiculous someones statement is they are protected (unless it creates a clear and present danger, Like yelling fire in a crowded subway) when one freedom is revoked it leads to more and more, so the confederate flag should not be banned.

I think there is nothing wrong with wearing or flying or having the flag shown anywhere.I dont think there is a problem with it because its heritage not hate.I have the flag hanging in my room and I show it all the time and by no means am I racists I have many black friends and I have nothing against them Im just proud of the way I was raised. :)

Freedom of speech protects the flag. We need to expand freedom, not restrict it. The Confederate Flag is nothing but fabric. It can harm nobody.

• e w

It's a piece of cloth, which isn't illegal.

It's too bad if you're offended by it. I'm offended by lots of things, but since we are supposed to have freedom in this country, I just have to deal with it.

Many people find swastikas offensive, but they're an ancient symbol, much older than the Nazis who used it as their emblem, also.

I find people who run around with their pants sagging, exposing their underwear to be offensive, so I just look away and won't have anything to do with such individuals.

I agree that the Confederate Flag tends to represent racism. However, in the US we have a sacred freedom of speech. For that reason, I will support a person's right to fly the Confederate Flag.

The problem with the idea of banning objectionable material - books, music, symbols, etc. - is where do you draw the line between objectionable and acceptable? Who gets to decide what is objectionable and what is acceptable.