Do you think she's attempting to give me a subtle hint that she doesn't like me?

There's this girl I like who I've been talking to lately, particularly online. I suspect she's aware of my interest in her (I've liked her from the moment I saw her almost two years ago), and although she's very polite and friendly with me, I'm almost certain the feelings aren't mutual. The other day I sent her an IM wondering if she'd mind me asking her "kind of an awkward question" and she said "possibly." I was merely going to ask which city she's from, but I bet she was worried that I was trying to hit on her. Then more recently I asked if she finds me to be socially awkward - her response is that she doesn't "pay enough attention to know". Aside from that, I don't catch her glancing in my direction very often and I'm usually the one who has to start conversations. Granted, she does go out of her way to be polite to me - but I don't think that means anything. Do you think I should take a hint and leave her alone?

I like her a lot, seriously. But I am positive nothing good will come of this. It's only going to semi-break my heart in the end. My feelings automatically get hurt when I see her and I feel really noxious. I can't stop thinking about her and I hate it.

And please don't call me an idiot, a loser, or a creep (or anything synonymous with those terms) in your answer.

Even if I try to convince myself that I may have a chance, I know I'm only deluding myself. She doesn't have any real regard for me.

• relish
    Favorite Answer

I think it's not a hint that she doesn't like you, more that she's not interested in starting a relationship with you. And yup there are subtle differences between the two.

But anyway my answer is that she doesn't look like she's reciprocates what you're feeling for her. I think you've been smart in detecting the hint, because the answer "doesn't pay enough attention to know" does point at her indifference and the fact that you're always the initiator of conversation does say something too.

My guess is that yup she saw that you were interested in her, and is giving you these signs to tell you that as much as she possibly appreciates the compliment, she's not into you.

Stay away and try to forget about her. Go out with your friends. Sooner or later you'll realize that she isn't worth the angst you're putting yourself through.

I really hate to say it, but I don't think she's interested. Although you seem to know that. Whether she's interested or not, I can't really say. This does actually sound a lot like a situation I'm in with a guy friend of mine. I'm not interested in him. I know he's a nice guy, and he's a pretty good friend. I just don't have an attraction to him. In the past, we texted a fair amount, and talked every now and again. But recently he started texting me a lot more often, trying to get to know me better. And he wanted me to know him better. And it just got annoying. I realized that I don't really like him all that much, even as a friend, and now I'm just trying to give him the hint to back off. Maybe that's what she's doing? I really don't know for sure. Hope that helped...

She may not really be into you, but just tell her what you wrote here, that you've liked her for 2 years, so she'll see your feelings are genuine and not think you're just trying to hit on her in a casual way.

There's no harm in letting somebody know how you feel. it doesn't always work out, that's just how it is, but at least you'll have tried.

aw poor baby:( i think she either may be afraid to fall for you, or she just doesn't feel the same way.

but to be helpful, i had the same problem with a guy, he liked me a lot, but i really didn't....after getting to know him, he was SOOO funny and fun, plus sweet...my feelings changed and we went out for 6 months...

Hope this helps. good luck

Dude there is no way around it, you're in love. My best advice is totally leave it alone. If she wants you she will come to you. If not, you will get over it. Good Luck.