Can you use the word 'seductive' in a non-sexual context?

... If so, can you provide examples?

Thanks

- DK

Note: I know what seductive means, so please don't answer with definitions and such

Update:

Sam [one of the answerer] said: "Seductive is now almost always used sexually but by no means does it have to be."

However, with that said, would it be "weird" or "odd" to use the word "seductive" in a non-sexual context? given that people nowadays use it with a sexual connotation ..? I'm mainly talking about in writings and text. NOT in speeches or everyday conversation.

thanks again

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

I think you could use it in a more general sense of tempting, persuading, pulling you in.

"He found the audience applause seductive; after his first curtain call he was hooked on acting for life

Lots more examples here:

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/seductive

Some of them are sexual, some mean "sensuous", but most are more general in meaning.

• 9 years ago

Yes, you can use the word seductive is many contexts in a non-sexual context.

The aroma of the pies were so seductive that I couldn´t leave without trying them.

The look of all that fresh produce was so seductive that I bought a full basket of vegetables and fruits.

The smell of the roasting coffee beans was so seductive that I stopped and bought a cup.

Cheers!

Source(s): NSS
  • pibe
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

the aroma wafting outside the kitchen was overpoweringly seductive, and i could not stop myself from walking inside to investigate. I found a large number of apple pies which I proceeded to methodically devour.

You can use this word to indicate a strong sense of temptation, longing, or desire not specifically sexual. Seductive is now almost always used sexually but by no means does it have to be.

Source(s): native english speaker
  • granny
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I couldn't refuse it, the job offer was seductive, a penthouse office in New York City, what a perk!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • HOOK
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The way advertising lures us to make purchases we really do not need is so seductive it's hard to resist.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes. example of that would be "i was at the store and the watermelon was so seductive. so i preceded to make love to the watermelon"

• 9 years ago

I know many things ;) but hey, where would the fun be if I revealed them so that mere mortals would know?

Source(s): Mystery Yahoo Villain.
  • xxx
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

not i don't really think you can because the word has that tone to it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.