tom asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

what's the EASIEST Law School to get into in New York State?

I'm a Paralegal. I live in the NYC metro area. I've been out of college for over 10 years. I'm considering going to Law School, mostly because of career advancement and because i really like law. The problem is I wasn't exactly a great student in college. I majored in Liberal Arts and probably had something like a 2.9 GPA.

I realize I wont get into some top tier law school and get to work for some prestigious law firm. I'm really just looking to get into ANY law school. What is the EASIEST law school to get into in New York State?

thanks so much

Favorite Answer

Law school is not like undergrad. A bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree regardless of where you go. Sure, Yale or Harvard undergrad will impress some employers, but for the most part where you got your degree doesn't matter. Not so with law school. The prestige of your law degree absolutely matters and affects your job prospects, potentially for the rest of your career. The 'easiest law school to get into' in New York is going to be the kind of school where the top 10% are lucky to get any kind of job at all, let alone a prestigious law firm job. The debt will be astronomical and the job prospects will be terrible. Not a good investment. It's worth noting, too, that the bad schools are comparably expensive to the good schools. You'll have six figures' worth of debt, except you probably won't have the job to pay it off. Student loan debt is non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. Imagine not being able to buy a home for 20 years.

Also, regarding your 2.9, that's not an excuse. The LSAT is weighted very heavily by most law schools. I know several people with GPAs lower than yours who are attending top-14 law schools because they performed so well on the LSAT. If you were willing to leave the state, you could get into Northwestern Early Decision (they love work experience and 170+ LSAT scores), Georgetown PT Early Decision, as well as some top-50 schools in the Mid-Atlantic/New England region. With your work experience and a high LSAT score, you could get into a large number of top-50 schools and possibly even a top 14.

Check out LawSchoolNumbers.com and LawSchoolPredictor.com. Don't settle for the crappiest law school in New York. But, because you asked, Pace, St. John's, New York Law School, and Touro are some of the easiest.

it is going to be hard to develop your GPA .3-.6 factors even nevertheless a three.3 isn't that good and except your mom and dad could purchase a library wing you will not get right into a spectacular regulation college. better curricular activities do not count that plenty. there's a fierce race to the spectacular between regulation colleges and suited now GPA/LSAT is all that they care approximately to get forward interior the scores. the undeniable fact which you're at a liberal arts college additionally will artwork against you; you will possibly have a miles better possibility w/ mediocre grades in case you had a technology degree because of fact those are in call for in regulation. i don't mean to burst your bubble, yet do not place all your eggs interior the spectacular college basket.