Food grade Diatomaceous Earth or 20 Mule Borax?? Which is safer & More effective for Fleas?

We have killed all the adult eggs in our home now I am just working on the darn flea eggs by vacuuming daily and everything, however I'd like something more effective and if been told the DE or Borax. My question is: Which is safer for dogs, kids & plants? ALso how long do I have to leave it sit? My husband... show more We have killed all the adult eggs in our home now I am just working on the darn flea eggs by vacuuming daily and everything, however I'd like something more effective and if been told the DE or Borax. My question is: Which is safer for dogs, kids & plants? ALso how long do I have to leave it sit? My husband is against anything being put on the carpets in case it can be harmful or toxic, he would rather just vacuum non stop. Fine but what happens if some hatch while we are not right there with a vacuum?
Please give me some insight and how to use each product and your experience.

WE WILL NOT BOMB OR EXTERMINATE! THAT IS NOT AN OPTION AT THIS TIME, we would like to try a non- harsh chemical approach.

Thanks :)
Update: Also if I sprinkle either of these on the floor and I vacuum the next day do I sprinkle more when I'm done vacuuming?
& What is safer on couches and bedding without harming us?
How long do I have to use it before my flea problem is gone?