Do I have Asbestos in my house?

We bought the house 10 years ago. It had to be inspected because it was an FHA loan. Now someone tells me that my insulation in the attic is asbestos. He said the name is Zolomite, or something like that. My question is if the FHA inspected the house prior to us being approved for the mortgage, shouldn't they have told us this? If they had, I sure wouldn't have bought the house, now I'm worried sick after living here ten years. sometimes little bits of this stuff falls through the cracks in the ceilings, and we see it in the corners. It looks like little rocks. I don't know what to do

Best Answer

Never listen to friend on what contains asbestos. Take a quarter size piece of the material in a ziplock bag to a local lab for testing. For $15, you can know for sure and testing is the ONLY way to determine asbestos content. Yes, the FHA inspection should have noted insulation, but an asbestos inspection is not part of the process.

Source(s): 20 year asbestos inspector
  • zak r

I could say no, since Asbestos was phased out of most usage in the late 80's early 90's, yest the house may be older than that. As for the report inspections usually look for thinks like structure and value for loans not testing things for health risks. Now first who told you had asbestos in your house, is it a professional Asbestos handler. As far as I know it is possible that older material or contaminated material was used when building, but the only way to tell is have it tested in a lab and if so have a professional removal company deal with it. As a word of advice you can see inspection documents on the house by asking the bank or inspection company which should have given you a copy. Then look for a local company to test and if it is remove and fix the problem. Check with EPA office for help with this as sometimes they can do it themselves and even pay for removal of affected insulation, but you would have to pay for the new installation of insulation.

FHA inspections check for minimal compliance. Basically they do check for insulation- but not what kind/type.

If you are concerned- just have someone look at it. It will cost. Then it will cost to remove it. Don't do it yourself. If you can not afford to have it properly removed by someone who does this type of work- then leave it alone. You mainly have trouble with asbestos when you move it.

Asbestos is a hazardous substance, but only if it is disturbed. It is only removed if it is found in the air. If it is sealed in the attic, it should not pose a problem for you. Was your home sold with a warranty? Have you contacted your insurance company? They may pay to seal, abate, or remove the asbestos if they are concerned.

A test kit is available at most home improvement centers. Test and know. Asbestos removal should only be done by professionals.

Source(s): Old 'n wise!

vermiculite---and it may not have asbestos (some did, some didn't) in it--you can check it yourself with one of those do it yourself deals or have it done--asbestos isn't a problem until it gets crushed or broken and becomes airborne--you might want to caulk your molding..