Are space heaters supposed to make a popping sound?

My dad won't turn the heat on (he won't turn it on because he doesn't want to pay for it) and it's 43 degrees in our house. I've turned the oven on to see if that helps and I found a little heater (I think they are called space heaters) and I plugged that in, too. But now it's making lots of... show more My dad won't turn the heat on (he won't turn it on because he doesn't want to pay for it) and it's 43 degrees in our house. I've turned the oven on to see if that helps and I found a little heater (I think they are called space heaters) and I plugged that in, too. But now it's making lots of popping sounds and I don't know if it's supposed to or not. It's been in our garage for a while now (since last winter I think) ... I don't know if that would affect the answer or not...

Also, is it going to run the bill way up if I leave the oven and the space heater on for a few hours every afternoon?