Can ballet dancers have really short hair?

I want to get a short hair cut (like pixie cut). Are ballet dancers "allowed" to do that? I am at a pre-professional level and I don't want to break the rules. If I don't have any luck with Yahoo Answers, I am going to ask my teacher.

But I want to know what other schools do and such. Or if there is a universal rule. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Short hair is certainly allowed, since some dancers simply have awful, impossible-to-contain hair. But it's possible you'll experience prejudice from people who have rigid expectations and adhere to classical standards of what's expected of dancers. In the dance world, there will always be people who harbor even unconscious prejudices against people who go against "type".

You should ask your teacher, since he/she will be able to advise you better than anyone else. Honestly, I don't think having a pixie cut is a bad thing, since it's visually similar to a tight bun but without all the maintenance (I have a pixie). But when I worked as an arts critic and reporter, I was always surprised when fellow critics felt compelled to mention or even condemn little things that defied their notions of what's "allowed".

Source(s): Arts magazine editor, former theater, music and dance reporter/critic.

Short Hair Ballet

It will depend on your school. At a school like SAB, it is not allowed. I have know a dancer who had short hair who would wear a phony bun who studied at Ballet Academy East in Manhattan.

Just as pink tights and pink ballet slippers/pointe shoes are a rule, so is your hair. It doesn't have to be a bun. It can be a french twist or other updo.in many cases. But, up and away from your face is the same as wearing a proper leotard to class. That is what is expected of you.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)
  • Robin

Well I think you may as well keep your hair.That way you would always be used to it being there you may find it too awkward to perform if that is the only time that you are dealing with it. I see most dancers putting thier hair up in a bun, high on top with a braid streaming from it.