D R asked in TravelUnited StatesMiami · 9 years ago

Moving to Ft Lauderdale?

Young gay couple moving to Ft. Lauderdale within a year. Coming from Portland, OR. Major move, needing any info/suggestions! Safe areas? Gay friendly areas? One is a stylist looking for the best hair salon. Hmm..not sure what else to write...but any comments and help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Eddi
    Favorite Answer

Wilton Manors is the major gay area within the Fort Lauderdale area. but my favorite part is Victoria Park within the city itself.

Fort Lauderdale has very cheap housing right now if you are buying. $200,000 US will go a long, long way and will get you a very nice townhouse somewhere.

Fort Lauderdale city has art, movie festivals, great restaurants, amazing nightlife-- it reminds me in a way of San Francisco 20 years ago. I think you will have a great time.

Just get ready for \five months of very hot and humid weather from June 1 - November 1, and be on the watchout for hurricanes then too. the other months are delightful.

Note: Lots of "normal" gay people live in Victoria Park, and it is very gay friendly; Jack is incorrect. I live about a half hour north of Fort Lauderdale in boring but pretty Palm Beach County to be close to family.

• jong

citadel Lauderdale isn't what it was. that's a distinctive area and a few communities are no longer overly risk-free. to fulfill your standards, you will could look on the cities placed west of citadel Lauderdale...way out west from citadel Lauderdale. take a glance on the cities of Coral Springs, Parkland, Coconut Creek, Tamarac, first mild, Weston. life in Florida is in all probability very love that's in Texas, however the wintry climate climate in southern Florida won't be in a position to be beat. decide for it.

go to Wilton Manors (it's gay friendly) and stay out of Victoria Park (normal people live there)

Source(s): I'm one of the normal people...
  • Robert

how about weston