Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

What are your opinions on Euthanasia?

AKA Physician-Assisted Suicide

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Just to clarify, physician assisted suicide can be euthansia, but not all euthansia is physician assisted suicide.

When you have watched someone you dearly loved die a slow and painful death, your perceptions about euthansia sometimes change. When an animal is suffering we show mercy and help them have a peaceful death. If a person is in the same situation and is ready to go, I don't see why a kind individual would not show the same compassion we show to our pets or other animals.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it is perfectly acceptable as long as the person is in a healthy state of mind and over a certain age. If they have depression or a mental health disorder then I don't think it's right. But overall I think it is a good thing (it's a touchy subject for people but it needs to be spoken about more!) for people to have an option. But I can also see the other point of view whereas life is a gift and we shouldn't selfishly end it. To be honest i'm not sure that there is a right or wrong to Euthanasia, everyone has an opinion about this subject but they are all different views.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Totally opposed. If somebody who is healthy is suicidal, we'd do whatever necessary to stop them. So why should we do otherwise for somebody who is suicidal but sick? It doesn't make sense.

IMHO it's an admission of the collosal failure of the medical approach. So many health problems are caused by medicine, the medical route has failed to solve so many health problems, in fact it is still defeated by the common cold.

There are other ways to consider health and disease - much better ways in many cases, but medicine holds such a monopoly and causes so many doubts about other systems that they don't get a look in. We even have laws to prevent other systems treating serious diseases - why? What is there to lose if the only other prescription on offer is assisted suicide?

Most of the time medicine doesn't even attempt to tackle why we are sick in such numbers in the first place. We have pinkwashing of KFC buckets to raise money for cancer - it would be funny but it isn't. So keep running marathons, eating hamburgers and go back to 'reality TV'. When the pain gets too severe even for morphine, there's a place in Switzerland and everything's nice and tidy.

Most people who say they have tried everything actually have barely begun to explore possibilities. We are all brainwashed to some extent about medicine, we need to look at ourselves and our society and be aware of this. They still feed white bread and jello to people with bowel cancer while telling them they have no hope - it should be criminal.

And now medicine is offering euthanasia in some countries because of its own failure. It's illogical, and it's wrong.

• 1 decade ago

if the person who is sick wants to go, they should be allowed to do so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.