Does numbers 23:19 actually say God is not a man?

or does it actually say He is not a man Like unto mortal men who lie?

in LDs theology God is a resurrected personage.

i dont believe God is an entity, i believe parley pratt said it correctly that God has body parts and passions.

Favorite Answer

Let's just ask the prophets and mormon leaders what they taught about it: "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!...........It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God........yea, that God himself, the father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did; and I will show it from the Bible...." (from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith and History of the Church, 6:302-17)

"He [God] is our Father--the Father of our spirits, and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are, and is now an exalted being. It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being;" (Brigham Young in the Journal of Discourses, v. 7, p. 333)

"The Gods who dwell in the Heaven...have been redeemed from the grave in a world which existed before the foundations of this earth were laid. They and the Heavenly body which they now inhabit were once in a fallen state....they were exalted also, from fallen men to Celestial Gods to inhabit their Heaven forever and ever." (Apostle Orson Pratt in The Seer, page 23)

Marvel M, I think that takes care of your bogus response. How can you claim to be a part of this one and only true church of Christ and yet, you have absolutely no idea what your prophets and leaders have taught? Someone needs to do some more homework.

This is how people take it when we say God the Father is a man: he's a man therefore we're saying he was mortal. People that think we believe that way are ignorant. At no time has Christ's church, the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints ever believed God the Father was once mortal. He has to be a man, not necessarily mortal, when He is God the FATHER. Father = man. For someone to say Christ was not a man is absurd when he is the only begotten SON.

Response to this answer:

"But Christians give new meanings to safe guard the doctrine trinity."

Great, so you give "new" meanings? The Bible does not have new meanings, it means what it says. There is nothing biblical about the trinity either. The Bible actually supports the very opposite.

According to the trinity concept all 3 act as one God. That's not true by Bible standards. They are of one purpose called the godhead, yes, but not one God. That's what is meant in the scriptures that says they are one, they're of one purpose. There is only one God and that is God the Father.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God

Although John 1 seems to be obvious, read it carefully. Remember the Bible saying something to this effect? "The Lord THY God."

Mark 12

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Christ isn't the supreme God, that honor and glory is of God the Father. God the Father is the supreme God while Christ is our God. They're not one God. The second part of John 1 says the Word was with God the Father and the third part says the Word is Christ our Lord our God. You cannot rely on one verse alone to say the trinity is biblical when in fact it's not.

1 John

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are bone.

8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

They agree in one, they aren't actually one being. Again, one purpose.

John 12

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

Christ says he does not speak for himself. If he was part of the trinity concept people made, Christ would not have needed to be commanded to speak the things of the Father.

Romans 8

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

When other scriptures call the spirit a "he", it's not saying the spirit of God is a person.

• phrog

interestingly enough - if one were to claim from this passage that God is not a man, they would have to consistently claim that God is also not a "son of man." ,,,,,which contradicts many NT statements about a Divine Jesus to the contrary.

(ie: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." Matt. 12:40)

so this passage is not suggesting that God is fundamentally not a "son of man", but rather that God is not a "son of man" in the sense that God doesn't have need for repentance....... the next logical step requires us to conclude that the passage is suggesting that God is "not a man" in the sense that God does not lie.

this verse really says nothing about the nature or form of God --- but merely assert that God is not like man in certain ways. God will not lie or change his declared course, unlike humans.

Jesus was definitely a man: With body parts and passions: I do not know about LDs theology:

Source(s): The Bible
  • imrod

I really hate to agree with LDS teaching But I think you are correct in adding the "like." That is the point of the statement here in Num. 23.

• It means that God is not mortal or has mankind's attributes. Throughout the Old Testament the Hebrew God Yahweh is described with anthropomorphic features. So I would agree that he has the image of man but not attributes.

Yes.

But Christians give new meanings to safe guard the doctrine trinity.

• borhan

no body knows what God is

only we know Abraham God is full of light which human eye can't tolerate

islam

The Bible says that God is a spirit and does not have body parts nor passions.

• samuel

It means God will not say any thing based on Guess, or fake ,He dont want to repent based on what he did, He is not man,He works and words are perfectly done