What's the best champagne?

I know Cristal is supposedly the best but I'm a middle class woman so that's not in my budget :) I always get Cooks to make Mimosas but, I'm really curious as to how good quality champagne tastes like without breaking the bank. Any suggestions on moderately priced champs I can try for starters?

• jc
    Favorite Answer

The best Champagne is "Salon"( not Cristal or Dom Perignon).

However the prices are out of control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_Salon

Veuve Cliquot is the best for the money( although still in the $50-$60 range), most experts can't tell it apart from Dom Perignon at 3 times the price).

Here's a place that has it on sale for under $40( that's a great buy).

The yellow bottle.

http://www.grandwinecellar.com/main.asp?request=SE...

Moet et Chandon White Star is a great champagne. I personally like Dom Perignon over Cristal but I think White Star at a fraction of a price can be just as good or near as good (about $40).

If you really need to watch your money you should look into Cava, the Spanish sparkling wine that closely follows the wine making process for champagne. Pricing can be from $10-$30 for cava and it is really really comparable to champagne. It is a great secret and I recommend it to anyone on a budget.

• Matt

Yeah go out and buy a bottle of brand "Tosti" specific kind "Asti spumanti" I have seen these on sale for $10 usually $14-15 when not on sale. Great sweet champagne. Does not leave your mouth dry like others.

Reminds me of the man on Safari in Africa when he meets a witch doctor and saves his life by shooting a marauding lion that was about to attack him. The witch doctor says "Thank you. For saving my life I will grant you one wish." As the guy was not particularly well endowed he replies "I wish my penis could reach the ground." The witch doctor wave his arms around saying "Your wish is granted." Just then the guy's legs fell off! Good joke by the way.

My all time favorite is Mumm, it's about $17-19 a bottle. Get the demi-sec. Moet et Chandon is great too, but more around $30.

Korbell is a California champagne that sells pretty well at $11.99 a bottle an any discount wine shop.

• KMcG

Champagne comes from one region in France, but there are other sparkling wines, they are just not called champagne. One of my favorite is prosecco from Spain. or Italy.

stella rosa