Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 9 years ago

Cessna Caravan: engine failure during short commuter flight?

[Disclaimer: yes, this is a question from a Microsoft flight simmer; I know that annoys some of you.] Anyways, in flight sim, there is a default mission to fly a cessna caravan from Catalina island across the bay to Santa Monica. The runway on catalina is approximately an east-west runway. I take off heading West. I make a turn until Im headed at a north-westerly bearing headed for Santa Monica airport. The default mission is programmed to give you engine failure over the L.A. Basin before you reach shore. Theres a warning on the radio from the navy to avoid the Navy vessel. They say dont try to land on the carrier; the Navy vessel says they'll dispatch a rescue team. QUESTION: How is this mission mastered? How do I land safely after experiencing engine failure. Im flying roughly 2000 to 3000 feet. Am I ignoring a higher minimum altitude which is stated on sectional charts for Los Angeles area? If I climb to a higher altitude on take off, does that give me time to land? and where am I supposed to land? am I supposed to try to turn around and return back to Catalina?? Am I supposed to do an Emergency landing at LAX? This boggles me? all I think of is to pull back on the yoke and keep it level as it hits the water. and when you ditch a plane in the water, does that smash your knees against the bottom of the controls? should there be emergency padding to cover the legs?

sara mark: I never said I was landing on a carrier. If you read what I wrote: I said its a microsoft flight simulator exercise: the engine failure is built into the mission, and there is a RADIO WARNING from the Navy carrier to not land there.

trawler fisherman: throttle up remaining engine??? the sim exercise is an enginer failure on a SINGLE engine plane!!

Peter J: you said turn on the fuel pump; the fuel pump was already on, dumbass!

Best Answer

In real-world terms, 2000-3000 feet is too low for this trip unless you really trust your single engine. It's not always practical to be within gliding distance of a suitable landing spot on land when you're over open water, but you can still fly higher than 3000 feet. Between 6000 and 8000 feet wouldn't be too bad, if you can climb that high during the time over water. The shortest distance between Catalina and the mainland is just under 19 nm, if you fly straight for the Point Fermin lighthouse. At most you'll be 10 nm from land, and with the Caravan's purported glide ratio of 12:1, you'll need a good 5000 feet AGL to have a chance of landing (and 2000 more wouldn't hurt).

Landing a Caravan on a carrier is probably theoretically possible, but not likely to succeed without a ton of practice.

There are no minimum altitudes if you are flying VFR over open water. The minimums for IFR flight are for obstacle avoidance, not for engine-out gliding. For the airways leading to Avalon airport, the MEA for IFR is 4000 feet; the off-airway minimum is 4500 feet. But you'll need more than this if you want to be able to glide to land, as above. Remember that gliding back to Catalina isn't an option unless you'll be at 1600 feet or above (the airport elevation) when you get there. And don't make U-turns with a failed engine if you can avoid it.

Ideally, you should fly a route like this in a twin, like a Baron.

The injuries you suffer (if any) when ditching depend on how you hit the water.

Cessna Caravan Engine

Wow, you Americans don't have any minimum altitude for flying over water? Here in Canada it is withing gliding distance of land with wheels and one engine.

I would take the carrier too. A Caravan would be a piece of cake to land on it, just make sure that you don't come up too short since the carrier is moving (ie, don't follow the 'ball'). Most people don't die from ditching in the water, they die from drowning trying to get out of the aircraft--especially without life jackets...

What you're supposed to do in this mission is land on the aircraft carrier. They warn you away from it, but just land on it anyway, it's the only way to pass the flight. I would also recommend a higher cruise altitude, maybe 3,500 or 4,500? (you should TECHNICALLY be at even thousands plus 500 feet for VFR flight on an westerly heading anyway) That gives you plenty of time to find the carrier (if you're on GPS course it should be below and to your right) and land on it. Make sure to land at minimum speed, full flaps so that you don't runoff the far end. Also, aim ahead of the thing because you have no idea how many times that damn carrier has outrun me hahaha.

I've done this one a couple times, the most important thing to remember is your best Power off glide speed (Vbg) which I believe in the C208 is 100Kts flaps up and 80Kts flaps full. If you maintain these air speeds you will get the best amount of time to decide what to do, and the best loss of altitude to gain of distance. The reason for this is, if the plane is faster than Vbg, it will loose altitude exponentially faster. And visa verse, if your too slow, the plane will loose altitude exponentially. and in both cases, the plane will not make it to the carrier. This isn't perfect in the sim, but in the real world, if you want to loose altitude faster, you pull the nose up to loose airspeed and altitude much faster... opposite thinking! ;)

Source(s): pilot

I think Robby's very likely correct. I've said it before and I'll say it again. DEI has figured out how to get great power from the R07. They just haven't figured out how to get it to stay together. It would seem very reasonable to me that if you were going to try anything experimental it would be with Jr and not the driver you have in the chase. Hopefully they learn all they can now and can provide their drivers with quality engines next year that will make awesome power and stay together. If it plays out like I think it will, DEI will be stronger in the long run for doing what they have been, and Jr will be better off when he gets to a new team.

Screw the Navy ! ! --------- land on the carrier anyway. Afterall, you helped pay for it; why not utilize it. Announce your intentions and tell them to erect the crash barrier or shoot you down. Because you ARE COMING IN ! ! And radio the New Media and tell them of your intentions too.

Of course, you can lie and tell them you have a United States Senator on board and deal with the consequences of that after you land. You will be arrested ............... but you will be alive.

when you are ditching... not only your legs will probably suffer from hitting various parts of cockpit... so will your FACE if you are not properly buckled up.

as for the engine failure.. reduce to economic speed (minimum power required.. ring-a-bell?) and FLY THE AIRCRAFT (one crew died from trying to locate burned lightbulb of a warning light)

throttle up the remaining engine to its maximum sustained power.

reset the stopwatch.

verify your ability to reach a nearest suitable airfield.

when overwater, prepare for ditching.

emergency instruction for passengers while the crew re-reads the cabin drill checklist in the cabin (to make sure you do not miss something to do while under stress)

BUCKLE UP your shoulder harness if you like your teeth.

most airplanes ditch on water with NO flaps, since flaps create nose heavy momentum upon contact with the water.. which impairs the floating capability of your aircraft.

passengers and cabin crew: assume ditching position

mayday mayday mayday callsign position type of distress, altitude and intention.

Source(s): do NOT land on a carrier. ...well this is what a helicopter pilot can think of... otherwise, SIM all you want, because you will always DingDing miraculously add the altitude. btw. the minimum safe altitudes are to be maintained even with one engine inoperative. these altitudes are based on a SOLID foundations, foundations of stone - TERRAIN. if you fly lower, you turn your aircraft into a MOLE. if you cannot climb over the mountains, you have to reroute.

Do a stall than do the emergency stall thing... BTW... Why are you flying a caravan onto a carrier?

Turn on the fuel pump.