Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

i need a prescription drug ( terbinafine), and I cannot afford it here in the U.S.?

and Im shamed to say i cannot afford insurance during these times. Im thinking very hard to go to Mexico. i need some info...price..? location? " ins and outs, because ya know border patrol and laws etc..

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i'm also one of the many uninsured in the U.S. and i'm so angry with the greed of the pharmaceutical companies, but why would you go all the way down to Mexico when you can simply purchase Lamisil through one of those so-called "canadian online pharmacies" or even mexican pharmacies, if you want terbinafine to be delivered from Mexico you can also do it, but do not see any point of driving there. I personally have been purchasing through pompharmacy.com for the last 2 years and find the service great. What could be easier than ordering on line and getting your medications in the mail? The prices are one of the reasons I use them. They have very fair prices. I am not sure if the prices they have for lamisil are low enough, but definitely check with some of the reputable online pharmacies first.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Terbinafine (“terbinafina” in Spanish) is sold as a Schedule IV pharmaceutical in Mexico, which means you can buy it without a prescription. Just ask any pharmacist. But bring your prescription, even if it’s an old one, as that will help identify the presentation (cream, gel, spray, tablets) and strength (125mg, 250mg) you use.

There are untold thousands of pharmacies in Tijuana to choose from. Many of them are in the tourist area. They all accept cash (pesos and dollars), most accept bank cards; none, to my knowledge, accepts U.S. insurance.

I can’t tell you what terbinafina or Lamasil cost here in Mexico but it’s a safe bet that our prices are considerably lower than what you’ve been paying. Our drug companies have to price themselves for a market in which minimum wage is less than nine U.S. dollars a day. Generic (terbinafina) should always be cheaper than brand-name (Lamasil) everywhere that intellectual-property laws are enforced, and that includes Mexico.

Pharmaceutical prices vary considerably in Tijuana but they should never exceed what has been set by federal law as marked on the side of each box. Highest prices can be expected from pharmacies that are open to the street (they violate a city ordinance in doing so) and from those represented by salespeople in white lab coats who do not stay behind their counters, the most aggressive of whom infest the sidewalks and harangue passersby in loud English. The lowest prices tend to be found among the pharmacies that specialize in generics, such as Farmacias Similar and Farmacias Nacional.

Finding a pharmacy in Tijuana is incredibly easy. Just walk out of our Customs pavilion and you will find dozens of the aggressive ones throughout Plaza Viva Tijuana. There is also an English-speaking Farmacias Similar there, at the entrance to the plaza, on the southern side behind the Michoacana ice-cream stand. The following blog entries and map should help you get your bearings:

http://realtijuana.blogspot.com/2009/11/tijuana-wi...

http://realtijuana.blogspot.com/2009/11/getting-ar...

Further into the city you will find more Farmacias Similar, some Farmacias Nacional, a few Farmacias Roma, Benavides, and Fénix, all of which can be recommended. In the Plaza Río shopping center is a Gusher, which is an excellent choice when you want to discuss your options with a knowledgeable, English-speaking pharmacist or when you’re looking for something that few places carry in stock.

Returning home with your purchases is normally very easy even though the U.S. government has done its level best to muck things up.

When it comes to what you can bring into the U.S., the Customs and Border Protection folks enforce rules set by other governmental agencies. In the case of drugs, CBP works for the FDA and the FDA says they only respect pharmaceuticals manufactured in the U.S. but they will begrudgingly allow private persons to bring in a “personal quantity” of foreign-made meds, usually interpreted to mean a ninety-day supply. This is all a bit too confusing for many CBP agents, who will try to enforce whatever part of the rule they happen to like.

What this means in real life: (1) those of us who cross the border all the time tend not to declare any meds, just in case our CBP agent is one of those who was born with a wild hare up his burro, and (2) gringo medical tourists will declare the meds they purchased and offer to present their U.S. prescription in case the CBP agent has any doubts. I have never known either method to fail, although I have watched a few GMTs stand around while their CBP agent emoted an unimpressive “Great and All-Powerful Oz” impersonation.

If you do get one of those CBP agents with a wild hare in their burro, just ask to be sent to Secondary. They’ll back down if they think their supervisor could find out what they’ve been up to.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.