Need help with computer parts for building a PC?

Need something faster, and trying to stay away from a store bought. I mainly want something faster so my music recording program will load faster and wont skip around during playback. I'm not sure what would be too excessive as far a processor, but if the price isn't a huge deal, wouldn't mind having something beyond that in case i want to run programs like protools. Don't care about video so much.. Im looking on newegg, but cant tell the differences between motherboards other than intel/AMD. Can all the AMD boards handle "all" the AMD processors?(or intel) How many watts for the power supply, and how to tell which ones go with the motherboard you choose would help too..

• Miles
    Best Answer

First of all I'd recommend going with AMD processors, they're just as good as Intel and a significant amount cheaper, for both the processor and the motherboard. For a processor I'd recommend a Phenom II quad core, in the 2.8 - 3.2 GHz range. That'll give you multitasking ability and/or single tasks at nice fast speeds. That would be a price range of around 120-144 dollars. if you don't need quad core then the dual core would be good as well, same clock speed range and a price range of 90-100 dollars. As for motherboards as long as you find one with the onboard ports and connections that you need that also has high reviews and says it has an AM3 socket that supports the processor you choose (look in the specifications) you should be good to go. I like Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte brand motherboards. Oh and for the processor you probably won't want to get an OEM model unless you want to use a better fan than the one that comes with the non OEM versions. You shouldn't need to unless you want to overclock. For the power supply it really depends on the hardware you decide on. There's not really an easy way to add up the wattage for the hardware so you kind of have to guestimate it. Looking at the reviews to see if anyone has their configurations in there helps too. I'd say that low end - mid range computers would be ok with 400-550 or 650 watt power supply. lowish-midrange gaming up to 750 watt and higher end higher than that. Go for a modular power supply with good reviews.

I'd be happy to make some price and component lists for you with hardware I've had experience with and recommend. If you have any other questions or would like to get some component lists feel free to email me at kronosqq (at) gmail (dot) com

AMD is cheaper to build, and if you choose a AM3 motherboard, one that says 6 core capable, it will handle all your cpus (AM3 cpus), so you can start with a low power one, and as time goes by, change out the cpu for a more powerful one.

These boards support AM3 cpus, and including the 6 core, is is says that. The 6 core boards will also run the 2 core . 3 core 4 core cpus, so they are flexible.

If you want to stay with just the 4 core (quad core), some AM3 boards will accept them and also are able to use the dual and triple core.

Check out the web sites for Asus, MSI, Asrock, Gigabyte, to name a few. Compare the prices on Newegg.com for these boards (and Tigerdirect.com), and also the prices for the AM3 cpus.

Choose a AM3 Board to fit your needs, and a cpu in your price range. The more power, the more speed and gaming ability.

Watch for power Watts. A cpu with 125 watts will not work in a board rated for 95 watts. So make sure your board can handle the wattage of the cpu you want.

Power supply. At least 750 watts is recommended. They are in expensive and for a few dollars more, you can get a more powerful power supply. Having more power at your fingertips if better then straining the power supply. And it will only put out what you use. A 100 watt light bulb only takes 100 watts, and the power to it is...100 watts even though the supply might be thousands of watts. So a 750 may run at 475 watts but you have the capacity for adding more devices and not worry about not enough power. Some video cards take a lot of power.

Which reminds me, get a decent video card, like an ATI 5570 or something. Not expensive, but okay, it will work.

For a Motherboard, look at specs on newegg, tigerdirect. look at what cpus they can handle, the wattage, look at what type of RAM it needs, and if it has more then one PCI-E slot, if you want more then one. Mother boards need to fit your case, ATX is about 9.5 x 12 inches, mini ATX 9.5 x 9.5. So mini holds less memory usually and has less pci slots.

the other guy is right, unless you are building a gaming rig or actually care about specific features of a pc or have some parts laying around then buying a pre-made one is going to be cheaper....hell an operating system is 150 on its own and you can a quad core desktop for 600 bucks...any ways. for music and video you want as many cores as you can get. look at quad core i5 (some i5 are dual and some are quad so watch out) or i7 (these are all quad cores with hyper threading which will give you 4 physical cores and 4 logical cores for a total of 8) as far as which MB will work for which cpu. look at the socket. i3, i5 and some i7 use socket 1156, core 2 series use socket 775 and super highend i7's use 1336. (sounds like these are a little over kill for you). once you get your MB picked out. just google 'the model number cpu support list'. even if the socket matches the board it still has to be supported by the chip set and bios. as far as PSU, just go by what your video card requires. if you arent using a super powerful GPU you dont need more then 400 watts.

My suggestion... go with a Quad core intel or AMD cpu for under $100.

Then get a motherboard that supports the CPU type, socket, and series.

Then just build from there off the motherboard specifications.

Also since its for music... get yourself a good soundcard.

you will no longer locate factors plenty extra fee-effective than Newegg. development is extra helpful as a maximum suitable purchase computer would be outfitted from much inexpensive rubbish. %. your individual factors and additionally you get extra helpful high quality. an excellent gaming computing device would nicely be outfitted for approximately $500 and a superb one for $1000. do no longer attempt upgrading prebuilt. you will land up changing virtually each and everything besides.

I built a PC a few years ago just because I wanted to. Let me tell you, you can buy one ready-made for a lot less money than buying all the parts.

You can find the best deal in the Amazon's Cyber Week Deals http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=384082011&tag...