? asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 years ago

To MRAs, is a false rape accusation victim just someone who says he didn't do it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, this is:

"Walter Swift served 26 years in Michigan prisons for rape before evidence of his innocence led to his exoneration and release in 2008. He was wrongfully convicted based in part on a highly questionable eyewitness identification and incomplete forensic testimony.

The Crime

On September 2, 1982, a woman was playing with her seven-month-old son in her Detroit home when an intruder grabbed her from behind. He dragged her to her upstairs bedroom, where he removed her clothing and raped her. He allowed her to cover herself with a robe before leading her downstairs to locate her purse. He took $60 from her purse, as well as her wedding band and another $100 in cash from the house. The perpetrator raped the victim again on a rug on the first floor. He then told the victim to close her eyes and fled.

The Investigation

When police arrived at the victim's house, they collected the robe she was wearing and the sheet from her bed. She was taken to a local hospital, where a rape kit was collected. The victim described the perpetrator as a clean-shaven African-American man between 15 and 18 years old, about 5'10'' tall, with an unusual hairstyle with very small braids.

Eight days after the crime, the investigating officer, Janice Paavola, showed the victim several hundred photos of black men between 15 and 25 years old. The victim selected seven photos based on various characteristics in common with the perpetrator. At this time, Paavola decided that the person in the next photo the victim chose would be included in a live lineup. Walter Swift's photo happened to be the eighth she chose, saying his eyes were similar to those of the perpetrator. Paavola wrote in a 2003 affidavit that the victim did not say Swift was the perpetrator and didn't place any emphasis on his photo compared to the other seven photos. The officer "was confident that she would not identify Mr. Swift as the perpetrator in the lineup."

Officers learned that Swift did not have braids, had a mustache and had a black eye at the time of the crime. Despite these inconsistencies, the lineup was conducted a few days later. Swift and four other men participated; they ranged in age from 20 to 34 and ranged widely in height and build. The officer told the victim that the man whose photo she chose would be included. The victim tentatively selected Swift, saying "I believe it is number 2." In her 2003 affidavit, the officer said she did not consider this a positive identification and scheduled a polygraph test for Swift to further investigate his possible role in the crime.

Paavola scheduled the polygraph examination, but would soon learn that it had been cancelled by a sergeant and a warrant had been issued for Swift's arrest. The sergeant told Paavola that "Mr. Swift may not have done this crime but [the sergeant] was sure that he did some crime before and had gotten away with it." Based almost exclusively on the victim's questionable identification, Swift was charged with sexual assault and robbery."

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/Walter_Swi...

"Crying Rape

Although there is no doubt that false rape allegations occur, it is extremely difficult to determine what percentage of rape reports is intentionally false.... A review of those studies on false rape accusations conducted between 1968 and 2005 showed a percentage range from 1-90% (Rumney, 2006).

Very little formal research has been conducted on the prevalence of false allegations of rape. One study looked at the 109 cases of forcible rape that were disposed of in one small midwestern town between 1978 and 1987 (Kanin, 1994). The given town was specifically selected for study because the police department used a uniquely objective and thorough protocol when investigating rape complaints. Among other procedural safeguards, officers did not have the discretion to drop rape investigations if they concluded the complaint was "suspect" or unfounded. Every rape accusation had to be thoroughly investigated and included offering a polygraph to both the accuser and the accused. Cases were only determined to be false if and when the accuser admitted that no rape occurred.

http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/archive/spring0...

Source(s): I like how you are so cavalier about the destruction of men's lives just to be true to your false man-hating ideological feminist fairy tales.
  • 4 years ago

Women or children that make false accusations commit rape of an innocent persons character. Often, it is never recovered. Your question considered the false accuser, you forgot the victim. Interestingly enough, you say ALL victims are real victims. IT seems okay for you that it acceptable for a falsely accused person to "learn something". Learn this! Children have been used as pawns by parents and their own families for far too long in a "civilized" nation. False claims has harmed the the accused, and our society as a whole. EX: Being nice to a child in a store etc can be perceived in gravely wrong manner. Guilty until proven innocent costs money most people don't have anymore. The financial devastation may never be recovered. I've seen the damage first hand in divorces and custody battles. Your question and opinion are the reason we need laws that hold false accusers accountable. Yes to jail time, yes to damages compensation and yes to mental help!

• People should be treated as innocent until proven guilty. And, those that need protection should have it, and that includes victims, not just the accused.

Some folks really are guilty even when found innocent.

All that being said, in the end, when charged with or accused of a crime, there's always a bit of a stigma attached-and sometimes that sticks even after a name is legally cleared. That's why I think it's important that false accusers (those who being of sound mind) that intentionally mislead, be prosecuted to the fullest extent the law will allow. I think the punishment should be strong enough to be a deterrent.

• 9 years ago

No a lot of rapists claim to be innocent when they are not just like any other crime.

But there are a lot of genuinely false allegations made, which hurts the man accused as well as real victims of rape who are doubted due to the lies of others.

The article linked to that question does state the man as innocent however as there is nothing else to go on we can't say he isn't, of course there is a chance he is guilty.

Real rape does happen and it is not a pleasant thing but neither are false allegations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Haven't even looked at Arlo's answer, which would, no doubt, be provocative in the style of feminist rhetoric - gander striking back - a move totally acceptable in this style of debate in which there are no rules.

Presumption of innocence requires that a person is only 'accused' until a proper conviction - proper convictions are rapidly becoming the minority in the current climate of over-kill in the rage to total dominance by government over your life through false laws and false legal proceedings - thus a person who has not been convicted is entitled to assert his innocence - any person who does not plead guilty is also entitled to continue to assert his innocence, which is precisely why plea bargaining is such the rage, as is the extra punishment for anyone who dares to assert innocence these days.

(Are you starting to get a handle on legal due process these days and what it really means in reality - at all?).

With the escalating figures of false rape claims, the escalating number of wrongfully convicted, and the serious problems with the law in determining genuine guilt in a climate where all are deemed to be guilty by accusation - an issue that has become absolutely predominant under feminist-inspired 'laws' and benighted policies such as 'zero tolerance' - any person convicted of anything is entitled to assert innocence since doubt will always exist about guilt under such conditions, simply because the law has fallen into such disgrace and such disregard for itself in the courts.

When the police set themselves above the law - the law fails and the police must go.

When the courts set themselves above the law, the law fails and the courts must go.

When politicians set themselves above the law, the law fails and the politicians must go.

(again) "One day, my son - NONE of this will be yours!" Fight for it now - or lose it forever.

AND - Cancel Christmas!

• Daniel
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Of course not. But we must always keep in mind that women sometimes lie about rape, and not to jump to conclusions without evidence. Innocent until proven guilty.

• 9 years ago

yes, in the sense that that he is saying he didn't do it in a way that will be of no benefit to him. SO whilst i wouldn't choose to overturn his sentence, for the case of what I just read I certainly can give him the benefit of the doubt believe him.

• 9 years ago

No. If he or she actually DID commit the crime, then the accusation is not false and he or she actually is a rapist.

Lv 6
    9 years ago

Sure, just as long as a rape accusation is just someone who's lying.

Source(s): So, SO glad I never got caught up in feminism.
  • 9 years ago

Sista (I say sista because women all races share the burden of the black man) let me tell you something about what MRA means. It means a bunch of crusty old white men sittin'round figurin' out new ways to hold us down and keep us beneath them. These devils are so afraid of anyone besides them having power that they will stoop any level necessary, including justifying rape, which mostly is a crime committed by white men against black and white women. When you hear someone call themselves a MRA, hear it for what it really means, "I hate women and minorities.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.