Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

Poll: Are you for or against medically assisted suicide???And why?

Such as, if the patient is terminally ill, such as with cancer or some other sort of disease..and the doctor and patient both know their is NO other hope for them, and they are tired of suffering..Do you think it's okay if the patient begged for suicide and the doctor helped them?

Or do you find it wrong??

Favorite Answer

Personally I think it is wrong to commit suicide. But this is a very touchy and personal subject to many people for moral, ethical, legal, religious and political reasons. I saw this documentary on PBS of an American couple who went to Europe to have a legal assisted suicide take place. To watch the pain and suffering the man was going through was heart wrenching, and I really felt sorrow for this husband and wife. This was a deeply personal issue for them, and I feel that each person has the right to decide for themselves what they want to do in the case of terminal illness.

For. They do it for animals, and animals don't even get a say in the matter. Not only does the patient suffer less, and for a shorter period of time, but it saves their families, and sometimes the state and government, a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the sole reason people should die is to save money, the first and foremost reason is to end suffering, but think of all the unpaid medical bills left behind for already grieving families! As long as the patient is in a state of mind where they can still make a solid decision about something so serious, I think there is nothing wrong with it.

For. I think suicide is justifiable if the person is truly terminally ill and living in severe pain and has a sound enough mind to know the ramifications of their decision.

that's so weird i have just been thinking about that!

yes, i think it's cruel to keep people alive when they are incapacitated and want to die. i just read this article about a man with 'locked in syndrome' ie paralyzed everywhere except his eyelids, which he uses to communicate. he used to be very active, social and a professional sports player and now he can't move and he said it was so pointless and degrading and all he could think of was how horrific it would be if he had to keep living like that.

and other illnesses too - i can't imagine having to wait to be in tons of pain, or become immobile or just linger and be sick for ages, spending tons of money and feeling depressed and scared. i think it's crazy that people think along the lines of 'they don't have the right to choose when to die' - why do other people have the right to choose? and when patients are allowed to die they have to dehydrate themselves to death in agony wtf, why not just be able to have a lethal injection?

I'm for it because some people can't be cured and are in a great deal of pain. They just want a bit of control over something that has completely taken over their lives.

I think someone should have the right to end their own life. Who are we to decide if someone wants to die or not? I'm all for voluntary euthanasia, as long as all parties have informed their loved ones.

Grey area for me but i think if the person was of sound mind and they asked then i dont see that being wrong!!

For. Why keep somebody alive if they're going to suffer unbearable pain?

As long as they are of sound mind and can still make rational decisions, who am I to extend their unending agony?

I'm for it. If the person wants to die, he or she is free to do so.