My household heater doesn't make any logical sense?

Ok, so our heating system is outside in the garage. It's up against the wall, which has a huge, 16x25 hole through it that connects the sidewall of the heater to the interior for air intake. The hole is "covered" by the filter and has a vent cover on the interior side of the wall to make it look "normal." All logic tells me that we're losing a lot of heat and letting in a lot of cold air through that gaping hole when the heater's not on, air filter or no. It's a pretty dumb design, if you ask me, but I rent, so I can't just rip it out and install an indoor one.

Is this normal and how can I insulate against it without creating a fire hazard or permanently blocking up access to the pilot and filter?

Favorite Answer

Okay...so I'm reading, and re-reading your description of your illogical heating system, and quite frankly-never got it. I have one too. And...I rent as well. And right now, I'm trying to figure mine out as well. I've got a register...that goes to absolutely...no where. Its a hole in the floor. PERIOD. If you take up the register, you can see the dirt crawl space underneath the apartment building. So...of course this stuff is not normal. And I'm sure not getting any help from MY landlord about MY heating situation...THEY OUTTA BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES. Good luck to you..

• Tom

well lots of unlogical things actually make alot of sense however in this case use some insulation