How do i/we get divorced on the cheap?

My wife & i love each other very much, but we cannot agree on children. she wants them (right now) and i do not (ever). we agree on everything else & otherwise have a happy life. however, this subject tends to send our relationship into a strained tailspin. Its fair to say: its enough to split up over. I checked with legal zoom <dot> com, who had no suggestions on the matter. We dont want to lawyer up, we just want to finish this in a civilized manner.

any suggestions?

thanks.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You might be able to use mediation depending upon your state's laws. In many family law cases, including divorce and modification actions, the parties opt to try and resolve their differences through mediation. Mediation is a process in which litigants use a neutral third-party to facilitate settlement negotiations. The mediator has no authority in ordering a resolution. The parties still maintain 100% control over whether or not they reach an agreement. For those parties who are unable to reach agreement, they still have the right to try their case before a judge/jury.

Even if a mediator is used, it is always advised that you seek legal representation for your own interests when reviewing documentation, and most surely before you sign anything. It's not uncommon for people who haven't used attorneys to later on find out that something important was overlooked and they find themselves back in court going through a costly litigation procedure to resolve the issue.

You may want to check out dadsdivorce.com, even if you are not a father, as they cover some of the basics you are asking. Or you can submit a question through their Ask A Lawyer feature. The second link I gave is to their forum where you can talk with other guys who are considering, in the process of, or have gone through a divorce to get more insight.

• Login to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Some jurisdictions have a divorce kit as mentioned above. If yours does not; go to the clerk's office of Family Court in your county. Ask them to make a copy of the documents of a simple, not involved divorce (it's a matter of public record and you can get a copy). They may point you to a file, or help you log on to a computer and let you search for one. There will be a minor charge per page. Take it home and write out your own papers. Take the original to back to the clerk's office, ask them to review what you've done from a standpoint of having all the papers necessary; NOT from a legal standpoint. Oh, yes, you both will have to sign IN FRONT of a notary. That can be done at your local bank. Did you get that? Whoever notarizes your documents MUST see both of you sign. Generally, YOUR bank will not charge you to notarize the document.

There will be a filing fee at the courthouse. You can find out what that will be then you get the sample copy to begin with; I'm thinking in the $50 range.

Your state may or may not require a "cooling off" period. You can ask the clerk's office about that too.

There can be NO disagreement about the grounds for the divorce; irreconcilable differences will suffice in most states. There can be NO disagreement on the division of property; down to the TV and the kitchen dishes. Spell in all out.

Sorry it hasn't worked out. Good luck

• 9 years ago

It's going to cost whatever you do. You need a lawyer to get all the paperwork right. However if you+wife can hammer all the details out first at home and then go to the lawyer(you could use the same one), with your instructions written down and quite clear, you will be able to keep his fee to a minimum. In my experience, the more questions or disagreements you have AFTER the lawyer is involved, the more it will cost you. It's in their interest to keep the arguing going on for a long time.

• i have a friend who just did that and without a lawyer. the thing is if you are not fighting and agreeing on the division of assets then you do not need a lawyer.

all you have to do is go to court ( family court) and ask for a divorce kit and follow the instructions.

it worked.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Use a mediator. We used one when I divorced my 1st husband and it saved lots of money and was very civilized.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

seperate for a year and pay your own expenses.

then you can file for divorce using the sep as basis for divorce

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.