Is it OK to use a tumble drier with nothing in it?

I have a washer/drier, a washing machine with built in tumble drier. The waste water goes outside in a pipe, and this pipe has frozen. The warm wet air from the drier also goes out the same way. So... is it OK to put the machine on a drier cycle, so in theory the warm air goes down the pipe and defrosts it? I ask because for example, you shouldn't put a toaster on with no bread in it, and a microwave with nothing in it etc.

Favorite Answer

yes for the drier - but it sounds like you have a blocked outlet, so the drier will overheat and cut out. Try a hair-dryer on the pipe to unblock it first. And then wrap it up to reduce the odds of it freezing again.

• erma

It desires to be put in a community the place the electrical powered is to code (voltage) and the place that's properly vented (to code). putting a dryer in a closet cloth cabinet with outfits that should capture hearth isn't a sensible concept. additionally, a honest quantity of lint will connect itself to the clothing too in a cloth cabinet. maximum suitable to place in a room without hearth possibility danger.

• Dan B

No issues at all. Tumble away. It's not like a microwave or toaster.

I don't think It would do Damage. But it might be a waste of energy. So I would recommend chucking a few things in just to be safe.

Its fine, but why not put something in it and not waste power? good time to fluff up a comforter or something of the like.