Baking Soda & Peroxide home teeth whitening?

I am an ex-smoker and a lover of dark sodas (I have a Dr. Pepper addiction) and have recently realized the damage this has done to the color of my teeth. I cannot afford to have them whitened professionally so I started doing some research into at home methods. It seems that a very easy & inexpensive way is to make... show more I am an ex-smoker and a lover of dark sodas (I have a Dr. Pepper addiction) and have recently realized the damage this has done to the color of my teeth. I cannot afford to have them whitened professionally so I started doing some research into at home methods. It seems that a very easy & inexpensive way is to make a paste using baking soda & peroxide. I've read many articles and questions about this but still have unanswered questions.
How often & how long do you do this? I see some places say it is harmful to your enamel to use too often while others basically say it replaces typical brushing with toothpaste twice daily.
Also, if you have any experience with this technique, how soon did you begin to see results?