Do fuel additives like the one's sold by STP work or are they just hype?

I usually only use them when I am traveling on long road trips, but I know they recommend using them every time you fill the tank. Is using them the same as using buying premium gas vs. the regular?

Favorite Answer

STP fuel additives do work. I use some form of cleaner about every five tank fulls when I am not buying gas at a national brand station (like Shell). There are the cleaner types and there are octane boosters. Both work, but unless you are a real enthusiast more then likely the octane boosters will not be doing you any real good. Some times it is a false savings, I have not done the math lately, but the last time I did, it was cheaper to just buy the better gas then to buy the cheap gas and add additives.

There are only 2 that I use. Marvel Mystery Oil for top-end lubrication and Isopropyl based gas-line anti-freeze. Most of the others are just pouring money into your tank.