Is drinking tap water bad...?

my mom told me we can't buy bottled water anymore because we can't afford it, but my dad said we have a chlorine filter for the tap water and he said it's safe to drink??? Is it?? I hate tap water n_n

Favorite Answer

Tap water goes through more tests than bottled water and is more tightly regulated. So, tap water is much safer than bottled water. And cheaper. Much much cheaper. If you are worried about chlorine in your tap water - keep some in a jug in the fridge - the chlorine will evaporate within about 20 minutes and your chilled water will taste clean and fresh. Try it for your self - you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Of course tap water is fine to drink.

Chlorine is good in water, Chlorine is a highly efficient disinfectant, and it is added to public water supplies to kill disease-causing bacteria that the water or its transport pipes might contain.

So I wouldn't be worried about it.

I agree that tap water might not taste very nice, I hate the taste of my tap water, I live in an area that has hard water and it tastes foul so what I do is I have two Britta water filter jugs and I fill the jug up, put it in the fridge (I also hate warm water) and then when I want a drink I just pour water out of the jug and I have clean, nice tasting cold water.

You don't need to be worried about if it is safe or not but you could always ask about getting a britta filter jug so you get water without the limescale and chlorine.

This is what I have: http://www.brita.net/uk/marella_colour_promotion.h...

For an accurate answer, your question needed some more information; such as, is it city water? and if it is a city does the water come from wells or stream diversions. Is it your own well water or water from a group of houses, like one well for 70 homes. What area is your water from. If mountains it could contain uranium, and that is bad. If prairie, it could contain arsenic, also bad. Does your local EPA office have your water on file so you can read what is in it?

By the way, just so you know, home and city water are regulated far more than bottled water. Chlorine kills bacteria. Salt based conditioners remove pollutants, bacteria and viral contaminants.

Source(s): www.epa.gov/

Tap water is just fine to drink, it tastes different then bottled. But you can squeeze 1/4 to 1/2 of a lemon into about 20oz of water and add a packet of Splenda. It tastes amazing.

• Dan

Yes, tap water is safe to drink, if it wasn't there would be public notices and annoucements on TV.

Many 'Bottled waters" are taps in bottles.

Actually, tap water is safer than bottled water, because it's more strictly regulated. Tap water may not taste the way you want it to, but it's actually better quality than bottled water.

Most of the bottled water you buy comes from the municipal water supply, which is the same water you get from your tap.

Add a filter to that, and it's actually safer to drink than bottled water.

It depends on where you live I guess.

Because, where I come from no one drinks tap water .. at all !

While in other places people drink it normally and it's clean and everything.

It's safe to drink if You have that filter.What I would do is if you take it off and pour some water into the glass and then put it back on check if one is clear or if it smells bad .then drink them and see if it is ok.

yes tap water is very safe xx