Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 1 decade ago

Why is there so much hate for the Daily Mail on YA and the internet in general?

Everyone hates the Daily Mail, yet despite all this negativity it is the best selling newspaper in the UK.

It seems everyone hates it yet they still buy it anyway. What's going on here?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • paul s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When the Daily Mail was launched in the mid 1800's the owner had a clever idea

in every edition of the paper he demanded his reporters put at least one outrageous story in it

because he believed the worse the things they wrote about the more people will be drawn to read them.

As such he filled his paper with stories about the French being up to no good, Germans plotting something etc, etc basically half truths and rumours that were designed to prey upon people prejudices and get them angry. (so angry in fact that they would buy the paper the next day just to keep up with the story)

Back in those days people would say 'The Daily Mail is full of Hate'

this term still survives today as 'Hate Mail'

(and that is a 100% true story)

who says you can't learn anything on yahoo?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When the Daily Mail was launched in the mid 1800's the owner had a clever idea

in every edition of the paper he demanded his reporters put at least one outrageous story in it

because he believed the worse the things they wrote about the more people will be drawn to read them.

• guiri
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Daily Mail is seen by Commies and New Labour alumni as being Tory. It is not. It is the Daily Mail.

I admit to being a fan. It is fun. There are far too many po-faced newspapers such as the Grauniad.

Only fools take the Daily Mail seriously.

It is a great Red Top!

See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Lembit Opik. Crazy Guy; Crazy name! How does he do it? I need to know, so I read the Daily Mail online!

• 1 decade ago

The Daily Mail panders to widely held prejudices. So it sells papers but it doesn't change the fact that it's a rag that exaggerates the truth and prints lies without a thought for the consequences.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't buy it. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law does.

They prey on people's prejudices. They don't care what happens as long as they sell a few more papers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They wanna see how crap it is

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.