Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Reading books:).........?

I had asked this question before but i guess i didn't made it understandable enough and It got lost somewhere so i am repeating it....

What is reading?

The process of understanding the written text?

It's benefits?

I searched it on google but the results were a bit too technical for a 9th grader's school presentation so i would really appreciate simple answers:)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To read is to be able to identify and understand the meaning of the characters and words in written or printed material.

Being able to read well has many benefits. You will have many choices in life. You will be able to find a half decent job. You will be able to read signs and pill bottlles without having to ask someone else. It is really almost impossible to live in today's world if you are illiterate. Reading also provides most people with hours of enjoyment. You can read all about other places and other cultures in the comfort of your own home. Being able to read makes you more well informed and it makes you self-reliant. I think reading is one of the most important things a person can ever learn. When you can read, you can text your friends, you can e-mail, you can play computer games. When you can't read it is very hard to have any fun at all.

Source(s): encarta for definition
  • Toby
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

'Reading' is a complex cognitive process of decoding symbols for the intention of deriving meaning (reading comprehension) and/or constructing meaning. It is the mastery of basic cognitive processes to the point where they are automatic so that attention is freed for the analysis of meaning.

Reading is a means of language acquisition, of communication, and of sharing information and ideas. Like all language, it is a complex interaction between the text and the reader which is shaped by the reader’s prior knowledge, experiences, attitude, and language community which is culturally and socially situated. The reading process requires continuous practices, development, and refinement.

Readers use a variety of reading strategies to assist with decoding (to translate symbols into sounds or visual representations of speech) and comprehension. Readers may use morpheme, semantics, syntax and context clues to identify the meaning of unknown words. Readers integrate the words they have read into their existing framework of knowledge or schema (schemata theory).

Other types of reading are not speech based writing systems, such as music notation or pictograms. The common link is the interpretation of symbols to extract the meaning from the visual notations.

Goals of reading

There are multiple principle goals of reading, which are determined by the end the reader has ordained the activity to obtain. The general goal of reading is the acquisition of meaning from the ordered arrangement of symbols. For example in an alphabet writing system each word is a collection of symbols that expresses a term or some meaning, which taken in conjunction with other words ordered to each other in a predetermined syntax, conveys some general meaning that the author intends the reader to acquire.[citation needed]

The second goal of reading is the "reading to obtain understanding". The reader wishes to receive illumination of some discipline or set of facts from the author. The reader usually approaches a given work with a dissimilitude of understanding compared to that of the author. He wishes to increase his understanding by coming to terms with the author of a given book, and subsequently reach an equal level of understanding.[citation needed]

The final goal of reading is "reading to obtain information". The reader attempts to gain knowledge of facts or knowledge about the author himself. If a reader is reading a book with the third goal in mind, he may not be as concerned with understanding the arguments and parts of the book and the way these parts relate to the whole. He may spend less or even no time reading a book analytically, but simply systematically inspect a book in order to obtain knowledge

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Reading is taking the words that one is familiar with, in other words, language, and converting it into thoughts of your own. Kind of like paraphrasing. Your own mind takes in information, and processes it into your: own words, your imagination ect.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.