WHAT CONTITUTES AND SUV?

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT CRITERIA NEED TO BE FILLED FOR A CAR TO BE CONSIDERED AN SUV.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There's no real legal definition of an SUV, but it is generally considered a light-truck.

The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) defines a light-duty truck to be any motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (curb weight plus payload) of no more than 8,500 pounds (3,855.5 kg) which is “(1) Designed primarily for purposes of transportation of property or is a derivation of such a vehicle, or (2) Designed primarily for transportation of persons and has a capacity of more than 12 persons, or (3) Available with special features enabling off-street or off-highway operation and use.” (40CFR86.082-2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_truck

And here's a general definition of an SUV:

A sport utility vehicle, or SUV, is a passenger vehicle which combines the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or station wagon together with all or off road ability. Most SUVs are designed with a roughly square cross-section, an engine compartment, a combined passenger and cargo compartment, and no dedicated trunk. Most mid-size and full-size SUVs have three rows of seats with a cargo area directly behind the last row of seats. Compact SUVs and mini SUVs, such as the Toyota RAV4 and Suzuki Vitara, may have five or fewer seats.

It is known in some countries as an "off-road vehicle" or "four-wheel drive", often abbreviated to "4WD" or "4x4", pronounced "four-by-four". However, not all SUVs have four-wheel drive capabilities (see Mazda Tribute, for example). Conversely, not all 4WD passenger vehicles are SUVs (see, for example, Subaru Impreza).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUV

So the definition is vague. Generally if it has four-wheel drive and looks more like a truck than a station wagon and it has an enclosed cargo area, then it's an SUV.

• 9 years ago

"Although designs vary, the SUV are stereotypically medium sized non-commercial passenger vehicles constructed using a body-on-frame chassis similar to that found on crew cab or light truck. They can be either gas or diesel, and often the engines especially in American SUV's are the of the same engine line or even the same engine as in the equivalent pickup truck.

A few of the most known design characteristics of SUV's are their high ground clearance and upright, boxy body. However, since this creates a lot of drag, their bodies have been more aerodynamic over the years to improve fuel economy."

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

From my own experience I can say that a SUV is a vehicle with an acronym. For me, I would consider a vehicle to be a SUV if it can mainly combine passenger comfort with the rugged looks of a warrior.

Thanks

• 9 years ago

A true SUV:

Body-on-Frame Construction

4 Wheel Drive

More than 70% of space for passengers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.