Is it you have oder you hate?

I am in a debate with someone over a Rammstein song, and I know it's you have, but this idiot is trying to tell me differently, I've been studying German since I was six! hast is the conjugated du (familiar for you) it has been conjugated from the original which is haben to have, what else can I use in my deffense, he's clearly not getting it, I asked meine GroBvater what it is, er komme aus munchen! he said it's you have

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it´s a wordplay, in the first 2 lines it´s deliberately supposed to mean "hate", and only in the third line it becomes clear that it should mean "have":

du hast... - "you have" but it also sounds like "you hate" (du hasst)

du hast mich... - sounds like "du hasst mich" (you hate me)

du hast mich gefragt... - "you have asked me" now it´s obvious what it means

Source(s): i´m german
  • 1 decade ago

You're not right and neither is your friend for the simple fact that Rammstein is the type of band who wants to give their listeners something to think about. "Hast" means Have. "Hasst" means hate. BUT if you listen to the English version of "Du Hast" that Rammstein puts out you hear Till saying "You, you hate, you hate me."

Source(s): Big Rammstein fan.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't get the problem so much but "du hast" in German means "you have", at singular of course

• 1 decade ago

It's you have. Du hasst is you hate. But they want to be misunderstood. The song is a pun. There is even one more pun in it, which is really bad style, unterste Schublade.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Stfu.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.