Luce asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

7 cats 2 litter boxes , how often would you clean the litter boxes?

My sister has 7 cats with two litter boxes(one being right next to her bed) She thinks cleaning them once a day is enough. Only 2 cats go outside the rest pretty much are indoor cats. I tell her they need to be cleaned more often. The cats piss all over the house and it reeks yet she can't smell it. They pee on anything you leave on the floor. Already have ruined 3 backpacks of my sons. He gets blamed for leaving them on the floor and I say NO, the cats shouldn't be peeing all over the place.

Favorite Answer

OMG you poor woman .Well first you need more liter boxes and less cats please remove that one from the bed.Your sister sound like she may be mental she has no respect for you or your children.Clean them boxes at least every 12 hours .Those poor cats are pro-bally all so uncomfortable.They won't pee in the liter box if they think it's too dirty. In the mean time try to take some of the cat to a no-kill shelter. Tell sis they ran away because they were unhappy with the conditions, tell her you know how they feel.PS. there are sprays that will stop cats from peeing on furniture and back packs.

Source(s): I own one happy cat and my home is maintained

That's disgusting. and it's not the cats fault they have got into a bad habit. It's your sister's fault for neglecting this, not providing enough cleaned boxes for them to use, so that the whole house gets turned into one big cat box

It is recommended to have a litterbox for each cat plus one extra, in different locations, AND clean them every day! So for 7 cats that would be 8 boxes. For the equivalent of that many cats with 2 boxes they should be cleaned 4 times a day.

But really even that may not be enough, if all 7 go at once. She should add at LEAST 2 more boxes and clean them at LEAST twice a day.

She also might consider making some giant boxes out of storage containers

Source(s): Here is a vet's article about how to keep cats happy with their litterboxes.so they don't go outside them, and includes picture of a big box she made. http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

The boxes should be cleaned whenever they have any clumps or poo in them. Anyone with 7 cats should be cleaning those boxes several times a day.

But I mildly disagree with you about leaving items on the floor. If you know that leaving a backpack on the floor, a cat will pee on it, then you need to be diligent in keeping it off the floor. If they can smell pee, they look at it as a good place to pee again. They can smell the pee even when we can't. One of my cats likes to use flip flops as a scratching post. I have to remind my kids to keep their flip flops and other shoes put away.

IMO you and your sister have to take more responsibility. She needs to keep the litter boxes cleaner and you and your son need to not leave things on the floor. I love cats, but I would seriously look for another place to live without 7 cats!

• Ocimom

The biggest reason they are doing this is because they do not want to share only 2 litter pans. And it could be territorial too if they are not spayed/neutered.

Once they get in the habit of peeing outside the box, its hard to retrain with that many cats. She should have at least 6 litter pans in the house with that many cats - then scooping once a day would be fine.

It isn't the cats fault, blame your sister. How would you like to stand in a gritty small box to use the bathroom. Cats need a clean litter box. Your sister should be cleaning it about ten times a day.

• sesser

My Nikki did this after four years of utilising the muddle field religiously. Then, she simply began peeing in a single specified spot at the flooring and pooping wherein she desired. We had no clue why. Last yr, she used to be identified with mind tumors and the tumors appeared to be the motive she used to be forgetting her earlier coaching. We ended up getting a moment, scale back muddle field that used to be now not blanketed for my child to make use of and that helped with the urinating, however now not the pooping. Needless to mention, it used to be now not her being a brat as a few individuals advocate. Something might be improper right here and you'll have your cat looked at.

Those litterboxes need to be scooped everyday and emptied at least every week..I had eight cats and two litter boxes, so I understand how much it sucks, but its gotta be done...cats don't like to be dirty so if their litter box is dirty, they won't go in it...they will pee on your stuff to tell you, "Hey...clean my ****..." Just remember, cats don't care about your feelings or what they are pissing on, so clean their litter boxes....EVERY DAY....

Source(s): personal experience

I wouldn't have that many cats in the first place. I have my cats' litter box in my shower and just lift it out when I shower. We have no problem with this.

Good luck

Clean it every time you find wee or poo in it. You don't have to fully clean just remove the bad stuff.