Hot baths when pregnant?

Is it bad having hot baths whilst pregnant?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

YES- According to the Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS), a body temperature of 101º F and above can raise concerns during pregnancy. Some studies have shown an increased risk of birth defects in babies of women who had an increased body temperature during the first trimester of pregnancy.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) states that becoming overheated in a hot tub is not recommended during pregnancy. ACOG also recommends that pregnant women never let their core body temperature rise above 102.2º F.

Although the specific degree differs, both OTIS and ACOG attest to the concern related to hot tub use during pregnancy.

Hot tubs are often factory programmed to maintain a water temperature of approximately 104º F. It takes only 10-20 minutes in a hot tub to raise your body temperature to 102º F or higher. To maintain a steady temperature, water is circulated and re-circulated through the hot tub to pump out cold water and pump in hot water.

So, is a hot bath safer than using a hot tub?

A hot bath, which is not uncomfortable or scalding, is a safer way to relax. In a bath much of your upper body will remain out of the water, making you less likely to overheat. Additionally, the water in a bath begins to cool off, as opposed to a hot tub, further reducing any risk of overheating.

How to reduce the risk if you choose to use a hot tub:

Although the Association does not recommend using hot tubs during pregnancy, here are some steps you can take to reduce any risk:

* Re-program your hot tub to maintain a lower temperature.

* Limit time in a hot tub to 10 minutes or less.

* Monitor the temperature of the water by dipping a thermometer in the hot tub.

* Monitor your body temperature to avoid overheating.

* Pay attention to warning signs such as becoming uncomfortable or if you stop sweating.

• 9 years ago

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and i still take hot baths occasionally. They say avoid "HOT" meaning overly hot baths because you're body is more sensitive. Not to mention your body temp is already raised by simply being pregnant. You can cause brain damage to the fetus if you shock your system with either too cold a temp or too hot. But that's more along the lines of a hot tub or a freezing dip.

My son loves when i take baths and hot showers, He'll actually push his whole back to my front when i let the water run over my belly. They like to be warm, it's a natural instinct. You're baby will want to be just as warm when they are out of the womb. Which is why so many babies like to be wrapped tightly and held.

Don't stress over the little things. The books really can scare you if you listen to them all. A lot of this will come naturally to you. Just trust your instincts and what the baby is telling you they want.

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

While SUPER hot baths are not good for you because they raise the fetus' body temperature too high, warm baths are fine.

Pregnant women are supposed to avoid hot tubs as well. This is a very uncommon thing to happen so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Source(s): My doctor
  • 9 years ago

I have read that is it not good to take extremely hot baths. Your body cannot get over the temperature of 102. It is unsafe for the baby to get your body to hot. Best bet is to just keep taking showers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Warm baths, definitely. Not hot. Ask your doctor about having warm baths.

• 9 years ago

Yeah but not to hot but it taking a hot bath will cause brain damage to your unborn baby

Source(s): Read that on BABY TAKL MAZG.
  • Connie
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Hot baths can be dangerous because the umbilical cord that is attached to the baby and the uterus wall can get hot from the water and break lose from the uterus and cause a premature birth.

• yes, my nurse and doc put it this way, your baby is like a little chicken, your stomach is so hot already like a pot with water, that any additional intense heat like, steaming showers, hot baths and saunas will be like cooking your baby. and you don't want that, stay with warm not hot !

• Jenn
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

You can get a bath, just not scorching hot. Nice and warm...

Source(s): mommy to 23 month old, 38 weeks pregnant
  • 9 years ago

Very hot, yes. Just like you aren't supposed to sit in a spa when you're pregnant.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.