Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 10 years ago

How do you become a foreign exchange student?

see, I'm 14 and in 9th grade.

I've been studying Japanese and my teacher and my parents want me to become a Foreign Exchange student in japan (I'm Japanese/Cambodian and know nothing about Japan so its good to learn about japan!)

I was wondering how to become one over there.

Is there a price to pay?

Do you have to take a test?

Do you go there with your parents?

How long is it?

6 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You become an exchange student by selecting a program and applying. The "big three" of high school exchange are generally AFS, YFU and Rotary (although lately AYUSA seems to be getting a better reputation and getting closer to those three). I personally chose AFS, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three organizations I mentioned -- each has a slightly different application process and emphasis, but each generally has a good reputation.

    When you are choosing which organization to apply to, be sure to ask for references of a student who has gone to the country you're interested in within the last year. Then ask that student detailed questions about the level of support provided abroad -- were there orientations, what services or support did the organization provide to students, did you know who to contact in case of problems, did you have any problems and how did the organization respond, etc. Support in-country is so important. When I was an exchange student, I had a few minor problems with my host school, and my organization was able to help me negotiate a solution to the problems.

    Programs can be just for the summer, for a semester, or for an entire school year. You live with a host family overseas (and no, your parents don't go with you). I went on exchange for a semester, but honestly, I regret not going for an entire year. My semester as an exchange student was one of the best experiences of my life, and I do wish I could have been there for an entire year.

    I do recommend going in high school if possible. You can do another exchange program in college if you'd like, but going in high school has several advantages. First, full immersion in a foreign language is better at younger ages. Second, going abroad in high school gives you more independence and a broader worldview that many of your classmates don't have. (And, if you want a practical tie-in, college admissions officers generally look favorably on applicants who've done exchanges in high school.) And finally, if you put off going on exchange, you might never go. There are all sorts of things that could happen in the next 6-7 years that could derail you going abroad in college, so why not go now? I doubt you'll regret it.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    You should try looking up summer programs (many of which have scholarships available).

    Studying abroad for an year might be something you want to do in college when you are more fluent (so you can understand classes taught in Japanese), older (so that you're ready to live away from your parents for that long of a time and it's more fun!), and have more options available.

    I went to Japan through the YFU program.

    I got a scholarship so I only paid a small fee. I did not have to take a test although I did have to write an application and get teacher's recommendations. I went alone without my parents, and it was for 6 weeks in the summer.

    Good luck!

    Source(s): Personal Experience
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    When I was in high school my family hosted 5 students from different countries. The program we went through was Open Door. They had somebody come into our home and do an interview with each family member to try in determine which student was right for us. The shortest length was only 30 days in the summer and the longest was about 10 months through the school year. The high school I went to also only had a certain number of spots for these students from abroad so that might be a factor also. The program did not offer any help for food and what not but the children had to come with their one spending money. I remember a single lady hosting also when we did. The experiences varied from each student but we keep in touch with 3 of the 5 still today. I wish you the best of luck with this and when my daughter gets older I will give her the option for our family to host!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • pi
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

    You have to find a foreign exchange program. You will be liable for all costs including airfare, and other travel expenses. There is no test that I'm aware of. Your parents stay back in the states while you stay in Japan. The length can vary, but it's usually either one semester or one whole school year.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    The first answer covered it I'd say.

    Just keep in mind the culture shock you'll endure. You may want to look up (on Youtube for instance) people who did a semester/year in Japan and how they liked it.

    Also keep in mind you will be living with strangers for half a year/ year.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    You become one by signing up for it.

    Yes, there's a price to pay. It can be expensive.

    No, there is no test but you need to have good, mostly academic level grades

    No, you don't go with your parents

    Depends, usually a year. Less commonly, it can be one semester.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.