Who are some good Jazz musicians?

none of that smooth stuff, I want technical and compositionally dense stuff

I'm primarily looking for guitar, vocalists, and pianists

I'm looking to expand my musical pallet

Best Answer

Jazz is a difficult music to get into. It's especially hard to dive head first into hard bop or modal jazz. It's just hard to keep track of what's going on.

Anyways, vocal jazz tends to be more accessible. Since there's lyrics, the singer doesn't play with the melody as much as an instrumentalist might.

Here's a few great jazz vocalists to get started with:

Ella Fitzgerald

Billie Holiday

Sarah Vaughn

Dinah Washington

There's also the greats like Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr... even Lou Rawls (most known for the song "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine") has some phenomenal jazz recordings.

Here's a few of my favorite jazz guitarists:

Kenny Burrell

Mike Stern

Pat Metheny

Joe Pass

Lenny Breau

John Abercrombie

John Scofield

Allan Holdsworth

Larry Coryell

Tal Farlow

Tons of awesome guitarists out there.

Same goes for pianists:

Bill Evans

Art Tatum

Oscar Peterson

Dave Brubeck

Kenny Barron

Keith Jarrett

Bud Powell

McCoy Tyner

Lennie Tristano

Herbie Hancock

Piano is so ubiquitous to jazz music... there's way too many awesome players to mention them all.

My advice is to simple start listening to stuff and following certain players through their careers. The neat thing about jazz is that it isn't about the "band" working as a single unit as much as it is about a collection of unique musicians all expressing themselves as individuals.

Think about it. If somebody in some rock or metal band gets replaced, say... Jim Root got replaced in Slipknot. That's really not a big deal, because whatever player they brought in would play what he played just the same. It's not difficult stuff. But Slipknot fans would throw a fit! (I'm not among them) They'd cry in the streets "How could you replace him? He's integral to the band!" but really, he's not.

But in a jazz band if you replace someone, the impact is much larger, because that person isn't playing a part that is written for them, they're improvising! There's so much more individuality expressed in jazz music, but jazz fans celebrate that! People may be bummed that a player they really liked left the band, but they go on to explore new things, and their replacement hopefully brings something fresh and different to the mix.

Umm, lets see

Saxophone: Charlie Parker

Trumpet: Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, but i really reccommend Maynard Ferguson

Trombone:Wycliffe Gordon, John Allred, J.J. Johnson

Piano: Count Basie, Dave Brubeck

but if you're looking for some good full band arrangements try Gordon Goodwyn's Big Phat Band, Herbie Hancock or Stan Kenton

• Well if you want guitar there is a Spanish jazz musician by the name of Marc Antonie (this is NOT Jennifer Lopez's husband).

Then there is also David Benoit (piano) and Kenny G. (saxophone), but it could be argued that they could potentially fall into the smooth category.

Hey, they're my favorites, just throwing them out there, you also have the choice not to listen, but you should give them a try, they do grow on you after awhile.

I'll give you a few of my current favorites. YouTube is great to use for the other suggestions. Lets you put a face to the music. Also go to Allmusic.com for information, reviews, and samples. They will link you to other artists that have similar styles.

José James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhCz7UzIwE

Youtube thumbnail

Lenny Breau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9SvTtaQLC4

Youtube thumbnail

Charlie Hunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUJmuguXaP0

Youtube thumbnail

well, i'll tell you some of my favourite jazz musicians:

guitarist: lee ritenour,

pianist : chick corea,

vocalist: al jarreau

and i'm suggesting you to listen to Casiopea. They're Japanese band, and they improvisation are one-of-kind...

here one of their fab video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edc2yVHRHiQ

Youtube thumbnail