Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 9 years ago

Should Stoke-on-Trent be twinned with Helmand Province?

A potteries businessman has referred to the midlands city, in his book 'The Lost City of Stoke-on-Trent', as "probably looking like Helmand", despite not knowing anything about the war-ridden area:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/stoke/hi/people_and_pl...

Having not been to lovely Stoke myself I cannot comment, but regardless, is this a storm in a nicely-pottered tea-cup?

Favorite Answer

i've never been to Stoke-on-Trent. but i think it's a bit of an unfair comparison. and it kind of makes a mockery of our troops in Helmond. but i think i've lived in places that are worse than Stoke. and thank you for asking how i am now. i left a reply on the answer to your question about the white ribbon. thanks again.

He is right about it being a 'Lost City'. It was once a thriving city with a steelworks, coal mines,

Michelin had a factory there, Wedgwood's, Minton, Doulton and Twyfords were all thriving

pottery factories. All sadly closed as we buy cheaper abroad and put our own people out of work.

The once proud, tough and very friendly people are depressed, obese and many are living on benefits on the poverty line.

I was born in Stoke-on-Trent and spent the first 29 years of my life there, I still visit family

but no way would I go back and live there.

The whole place is just Depressed physically and mentally, they have had a very very rough

deal there. Helmand it is not.

• ?

I think this is terrible, how can you expect people living in a desolate war zone where life and death problems occur by the hour, and where the lawless population just seize what they want when they want, to see any benefit in a twinning exercise.

It will probably be just as difficult for the people of Helmand province too,

Given that he has a book out, then there is no such thing as bad publicity. I have only been to Stoke once- a works visit to one of their Chinaware suppliers- and I have certainly been to worse places. Newport in Gwent jumps to mind, and I'm Welsh.

Methinks Matthew Rice was just chucking in a comment to create a bit of interest- bit like a Rory Delap throw in really.

They are trying to get Afghanistani locals to think and act more like we do in the west, so are blowing up peoples homes so it resembles Stoke on Trent and most cities/towns

• I think Hackney (but oddly enough, NOT Stoke Newington) would be a more appropriate twinning for Helmand Provice!

• a

You-know Business men either want to knock down the old to build the new to make money, or they want to keep the old for posterity, usually in an attempt to be remembered by, and from what I can gather the city of Stock-On-Trent seem to be doing neither, by his accounts it sounds like its killing itself, bit-by-bit.

Why are the troops taking opium from Stoke as well?

I think that an ever increasing number of towns and cities could lay claim to that honour.

yes