Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

.357 Magnum and .44 Magnum vs 9mm, .357 SIG, .40,.45 ACP, 10mm?

In a handgun whats the order of power for these cartridges?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

9x19mm Parabellum

.40 S&W

.357 SIG

.45 ACP

.357 Magnum

10 mm Auto

.44 Magnum

• 1 decade ago

The other two almost have it right. With the sort of defensive loadings I've seen I would place them in this order in terms of energy. The order of overall combat effectiveness on a person (not talking about animals) would be similar, but would probably peak with the 357 Magnum or 10mm. All of the cartridges minus the 44 Magnum would be fine choices for personal defense, if you choose the right ammunition.

9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Sig, .357 Magnum, 10mm, 44 Magnum.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The .44 Magnum is the best choice. It hits harder and a little faster than a 10mm. After the 10 mm isn't bad. I here some Scandinavian military units use 10mm Glocks on polar bears. You could try the .357 but wait until it tackles you so you can press the muzzle right into it's chest. Bottom line tough use the .44 Mag if you value your life at all. If you want to definitely be able tell the grand kids this use a .500 S&W magnum.

• 1 decade ago

there is some overlapping of loadings but in general:

9mm (9x19), .40S&W, .45ACP, .357 SIG, 10mm, .357magnum, .44 magnum.

the .357 SIG, 10mm and .357mag can all be loaded very close in terms of energy, although the .357 mag has the ability to be hotter and more powerful then the other two. it depends on the loading...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.