? asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 1 decade ago

Learn to play piano by ear?

I have been taking piano lessons for 10 years and i am very good at reading music. I really wish i could play a song by ear. Is there anyway to learn this skill?

Favorite Answer

After so many years you already have the tools to teach yourself to play by ear. But it also needs practice and work as any other skill to learn! Here are some tips:

1. Review your scales and the 3 most important chords for each tonality ( I, IV and V)

2. Start very simple. Pick a small piece that you know, like Twinkle little star or Happy birthday.

3. Find the melody on the piano. Don't be afraid of making mistakes! Find one note after the other until you can play the tune comfortably.

4. Now, what scale are you using? The note that finishes your melody is usually the first note of the scale.

5. Review the three chords ( I, IV and V) that belongs to that scale.

6. Play the melody with your right hand, with your left try the chords and listen which one fits where.

7. Congratulations! You just played your first piece by ear!

Continue with harder melodies. You need to listen to the piece you want to learn over and over again- so make sure you like it! Make the chords more interesting by playing them broken, and in many different styles. Make up your own little tunes as well!

Have fun!

Source(s): More about chords: http://www.play-the-piano.org/chord-piano.html About easy improvisation, and by ear playing: http://www.play-the-piano.org/beginning-piano-less...

I've been working with the course for about a week now, and it's incredible. Just the practice aids and the different scales and memory techniques in Book 9 are worth the price of the course, alone! There are two things that make this course stand out. First, all the video and audio files are embedded in the lesson. I have yet to find another piano course that makes it this easy. It's so nice not to have three files going at the same time!

The second thing is that you actually get to play in each lesson! And the songs are not "Mary had a Little Lamb" types! From the Beatles to Bethoven, it's all there. I have several piano courses that I have ordered over the internet. This is the one I use because it makes learning fun! I'm amazed! Once you get the rhythms down, you really can sound like a pro! Great fun! Thanks for making this available at such a reasonable price. Anyone who doesn't grab this up is going to go the long way home! Joy!

Now ANYONE Can Learn Piano or Keyboard?

You can learn to make this connection. Most people don't realize that music is not just an art, but a science too. If you don't know the names of the note's letters (the keys of the piano), you will need to learn these. Once you do that, you will need to learn what notes make up chords. Playing by ear is about learning the relationships between notes- the distances between them. If you can take a sightsinging class at a local music studio or a college, I would recommend that. I took piano for a very long time (over 10 years), but I could not play by ear at all.... then I took some sightsinging classes. Sightsinging teaches you to sing a piece of music that you've never seen before, and it does that because you learn to analyze the piece by the key that it begins, and then you keep going up or down each note, and you get better with practice (It's easier than it sounds) How does this relate to playing? Even if you are not a singer, those skills that you learn in a sightsinging class- what a song sounds like, how to analyze what key it is in, etc.- that will help you play by ear. Just trying to play with the radio to learn - you can try that, but believe me, it will take forever, and it isn't the quickest way to learn how to play. If you don't have access to a class, you can go to your local music store, tell them you want to learn how to play by ear, and they will probably show you some software to teach you sightsinging (aka "aural skills"- aural meaning ears). Yes, some people are born with the ability to play by ear, but everyone can learn how to do it. Not everyone will be as great at it, but with time, effort, and practice you can learn it. If any of this is unclear, or if you don't understand what I've written, go to your local music store, and ask a staff member- they can clear up the confusion! Good luck!

Practice harder. Distinguish notes from each other and try to associate things with the notes other than the pitch, like color.

• You don't (like others have said) want to learn to distinguish pitches from each other, you want to distinguish intervals from each other!

try this:

www.good-ear.com