"CAN YOU IDENTIFY" this composer, by solving the below ARITHMETIC EQUATION?

The number of his compositions written in one genre, added to his age when he died, equals the century year in which he died.

CENTURY YEAR DEFINITION: using this year as an example - 2010="10" (only last two digits)

Obviously the key to this equation is the number of his compositions written in one genre.

EQUATION: (number of compositions in one genre) + (age at death) = (century year of death)

Good luck,

Alberich

P.S. - if further clarification is needed, just ask, and I will TRY to accommodate.

@@@@

"del_icious..": Forsooth - and I thought I was being so brilliant.

And I would only quibble with regards to the number of his stage-works, and life span. I know of/only familiar with 13 of them:

Die Feen - Das Liebersverbot - Renzi -The Flying Dutchman - Tannhauser - Lohengrin - Ring cycle=4 - Tristan - Meistersinger - and Parsifal. What is the 14th?

And I based his age calclations only upon the years (not specifically the total number of months).

@@@@

"del_icious..": thanks for you edification - had never heard of "Die Hochzeit".

In light of a closely related, just previously posted question, am seriously pondering whether or not I should even contemplate attempting a "next" (question): http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao3lG...

• Duke
    Favorite Answer

You have already an excellent answer from Del_icious_manager as usual.

Your previous question (METROPOLITAN OPERA QUIZ) and this one reminded me the following old puzzle, published in one of Martin Gardner's books on recreational mathematics: 'J.F. Kennedy was born in 1917, was elected as U.S. President in 1960. His book 'Profiles in courage' was published when he was 46, in his 3rd year in office. The sum

1917 + 1960 + 46 + 3 = 3926

Charles de Gaulle was born in 1890, was elected as President of France in 1958 and when he was 73 years old, he has been in office for 5 years.The sum

1890 + 1958 + 73 + 5 = 3926.

How to explain that remarkable coincidence?'

Explanation: if we take an arbitrary date and add to it the number of years to a particular following date (1963 in the puzzle), we'll simply get that second date. Also, for any 4 numbers a, b, c, d we have

a + b + c + d = a + c + b + d = (a + c) + (b + d), so

1917 + 1960 + 46 + 3 = (1917 + 46) + (1960 + 3) = 2 * 1963 = 3926

1890 + 1958 + 73 + 5 = (1890 + 73) + (1958 + 5) = 2 * 1963 = 3926

So, there is nothing remarkable and it is quite trivial!

Now from your equation and above notes we can conclude that either:

a) if the person has celebrated a birthday in the year of his death, then the number of compositions is equal to his century year of birth, or

b) otherwise the number of compositions is equal to his century year of birth plus one (as is the case in Del_icious_manager's answer - Wagner hadn't entered his 70th year yet when he died in February 1883, being born in May 1813 - by the way I also didn't know about 'Die Hochzeit')

May I suggest to the public in CM Forum a puzzle with some arithmetic involved too? Recall that an integer number, being a product of some integer and itself is called 'perfect square', for example

64 = 8 * 8 = 8² and 64 is a perfect square (imagine 8 x 8 chessboard).

But 64 = 4 * 4 * 4 = 4³, so 64 is also a perfect cube, finally

64 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 2⁶ is simultaneously a perfect 6th power.

Now the puzzle, it is very easy: identify the composer by the following:

1) The number of symphonies he has written is a perfect square;

2) The Opus number of his last symphony is a perfect cube;

3) The number of his string quartets is a perfect 4th power;

4) The number of his piano sonatas is a perfect 5th power;

5) The number of his operas is simultaneously a perfect 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th power.

I am sure no hints are necessary, happy solving!

• biggio

properly Alberich, in view that I nominated them in the 1st place i visit circulate with: George Crumb Ernest Bloch --and-- John Adams (edit) in view that your addition of Paul Hindemith i think of i'd ought to drop George Crumb from my record. the only reason for that's by way of fact i'm plenty greater attentive to Hindemith while in comparison with Crumb. no count what, I even have relatively enjoyed this series of questions, I even have found out plenty approximately composers I had on no account heard of, or knew little or no approximately. would I recommend a collection of questions on the topic of products? or soloists? or communities (i.e. symphonies, quartets, small ensembles, and so on.)? Edit of record (lower back)...i did no longer examine all the small print in the positioned up. George Crumb Fritz Kreisler --and-- David Popper Alberich, i ought to take you up on the series. would you recommendations giving me some quidance on the thank you to word such questions?

Oh, Alberich! Once again you have made this too easy for those who know you well.

Wagner was 69 when he died. He completed 14 operas. 69+14=83 - the year he died (1883).

Next ... :-P

Edit:

Perhaps rather naughtily, I included 'Die Hochzeit' as the 14th. Although 'unfinished', it has been performed and, therefore, qualified in my calculations.

One of the reasons I put Die Hochzeit in my answer to the last question.

... Actually I was thinking of Rienzi. Another piece that is too often ignored.

I really like the equation! What fun!