Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 years ago

Are there any women who think Feminism should reject appealing to Castration Anxiety?

A few examples of this:

1) Shirt that says "Lorena Bobbit for Surgeon General"

2) Women holding scissors caption : "If you cut off my reproductive rights, I'll cut yours off"

3) Magazines called "Vagina Dentata" (ironically was a myth that it inspired misogyny)

So basically Feminism means :

-Male Genital Mutilation is a heroic act (I agree that Lorena was abuse but her actions were not heroic. They were the result of a damaged woman acting out against her abuser. She today regrets what she did. It was a tragedy..not a heroine tale.

-If you're a pro-life man u deserve to have your penis off

-Vaginas would be better if they had the ability to mutilate a man's penis. Female sexuality ought to be regarded as dangerous for men.

Hear That? Susan B. Anthony in her grave..spinning like a record.

Yes, sure this is symbolic..but do we not cringe a bit when we see Obama pictured as a monkey on Tea Party signs? Do we not condemn them as racist? The symbolism isn't much better than advocating the real thing. And all the feminists wonder why they get stereotyped as "man-haters". Well, stop being so "colorful" ? and maybe u'd get some more respect. I'm not an anti-feminist. I'm against violent imagery, against anyone who tries to generate gender wars. So, please Ladies would u start tryng to reshape your image? I'm convinced that gender equality is in the best interest of all people...but things like this keep alot of people from seeing that.

Favorite Answer

I'm a woman and a feminist and I'm _really_ bothered by women advocating violence if it's only tongue in cheek. Imagine men saying, "piss me off and i'll cut off your breasts" or something similar.

I'm really, really disappointed in women who buy into this double-standard.

Listen, no one has to be intelligent to believe or reject anything; the intelligent ones always have something substantial to back themselves up; in other words they don't go around relying on excuses. I firmly believe that our beliefs must come from within our internal souls; not from outside influences because they're people who will blindly believe anything just to be accepted. Sad to say they're usually the ones who can be easily led around by the nose. Every word in this world has more than one meaning; meanings that seem to entwine with one another; however, when you look deep enough, you see they have distinct differences. So, when it comes to these words we chose the meaning that is the closest to what we desire and or feel. Now, when it comes to feminism the general meaning is the same; however, some are more zealous, you could say; therefore, giving off the impression women are so much better than men. None of that means a thing to me; I'm an anti-feminist. I don't believe in equality. No excuses that's just the way I see things. I can't force myself to believe in or be something that makes no sense to me. Life to me is never constantly run on a 50:50 scenario. It bends, it curves, it fluctuates so that one minute were dealing with a 36:74 and the next with a 74:36 scenario. What counts is our attitudes when faced with these scenarios; either we dig in or we lay down complaining about how the world has done us wrong. We do ourselves wrong we do ourselves right; the world, and all its inhabitants is only a temporary shell that goes from one minute to the next.

These days "feminism" has come to mean something very different from what the suffragettes campaigned about.

The leading feminist authors and speakers openly talk of wanting men to have limited rights. They no longer pretend about seeing lesbianism as the "right" way to be. Laws are in place in most western countries that ensure equality as a minimum for women but discriminate against men, often openly labelling it "positive discrimination" because that's how discrimination against men is seen now: something positive.

Meanwhile divorce and family courts continually make life a nightmare predominantly for the man, without real regard for a child's needs to have both its parents. Men are forced to surrender their property and their family, and to pay for the 'privilege'.

I think anyone these days calling themselves a feminist is painting themselves with a very black brush. If you believe in equality, I suggest you call yourself an equalist and distance yourself from laws, customs and movements that discriminate against either sex.

Yes. That kind of rhetoric is hateful and it alienates men who support women. It's not enough to just say I don't condone mutilating anyone. If we want to criticize the hateful stuff misogynists say then we also need to condemn this stuff. Even if most feminists don't support hurting anyone when we laugh at that stuff but get offended at stuff against women we act like hypocrites.

• ?

Yeah feminist present and I strongly disagree to any type of genital mutilation; stop generalizing it's frankly very annoying after a while.

LOL, Ah, those crazy feminist ladies and men, symbolic messages and the people who love to analyze.

I used to think it was hard being a feminist, then I met a male feminist.

Agreed.

But there is almost always a silver lining in any cloud. In this case, the general social acceptance of such "humor" encourages those that are willing to "joke" about such matters to openly expose their ugliness which, in turn, enables you to identify those people that are not worth getting to know.

Source(s): me.

No one should be trying to mess with anyone else's genitals unless that person wants them messed with. ;D

Also, most feminists aren't for chopping off a man's penis and/or testicles.

Lol at The Man clone.

"Vagina Dentata", what a brilliant idea for a screen name ;)

"Vagina dentata is Latin for toothed vagina. Various cultures have folk tales about women with toothed vaginas, frequently told as cautionary tales warning of the dangers of sex with strange women and to discourage the act of rape.

The concept is also of importance in classical psychoanalysis, where it is held to relate to the unconscious fears associated with castration anxiety".

So keep it in your pants lest the evil Vagina Dentata sink her teeth into your wee willie!

Source(s): Wiki Clearly, the misogynist origin of the term is lost on many people.