Dave
Dave asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 9 years ago

Hit in the face. Help?

So, I was playing in our annual Thanksgiving baseball game today and we play with aluminum bats. I was walking behind someone at bat (I wasn't thinking at the time) and when they swung the bat came back and hit my eyebrow close to the side of it. I blacked out for a couple seconds and then I was rushed inside to get some ice on it. We eventually ran out of frozen stuff and I couldn't ice it anymore. So now its nighttime and my eye is a very, dark purple and swollen completely shut. I just need some help for stuff I can do for it and what how long it might last for. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

As a nurse, and having had a similar injury, I would recommend sleeping with your head and upper body elevated, at a 30 degree angle, or whatever is comfortable for you. You could do with with pillows and folded up blankets, or by sleeping in a reclining chair. This help the extracelluar fluid set to the site of injury in the inflammatory response to drain from your head back into your circulatory system. Also, taking over the counter NSAID (non-sterodial anti-inflammatory drug) (ibuprofen, Aleve) will help reduce inflammation and pain. Increase your intake of water and vitamins E & K will also contribute to the reduction of swelling and expedite the healing process. Continue to ice it as you feel comfortable. 15 minutes on, 30 min off-- is a good routine for cold compress application. I hope you feel better! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Source(s): I have an active nursing license
  • topaz

Did you go to the emergency room? The only way to tell the extent of what happened is with an X-ray. You might have had a concussion. You might have also had a fracture to one or more of your facial bones. No one on the internet is going to be able to diagnose that.

At the very least, you should ice it. If you don't have ice, hold a cold can of soda to your head. Or a package of frozen vegetables, but cover it with thin cloth like a T-shirt first. Just thin of it as thawing whatever vegetables you're going to have with the turkey a little early.

If you do go to sleep, have someone responsible wake you up every few hours to make sure you're okay, unless you see a doctor first and he or she says it's okay to do otherwise.

Next year, stick to Nerf bats.

You should definitely see a doctor if pain gets worse, swelling increases. You were knocked out, so I fear the possibility of a concussion.

Put some frozen vegetable bags on it, take pain killer for a headache, and try sleeping on your back. Feel better!