Ambition Quotes in Macbeth?

I need quotes in Macbeth that relate to the theme "blind ambition overpowers everything else, namely morals and logic.

Scene and lines too!!

Favorite Answer

ROSS

'Gainst nature still!

Thriftless ambition, that wilt ravin ... up

Thine own life's means! Then 'tis most like

The sovereignty will fall upon Macbeth. (2.4.6)

Thought: At first, everyone assumes that Duncan's sons are responsible for his murder. (Having fled the castle after Duncan's body was discovered, Malcolm and Donalbain appear guilty.) Here, Ross implies that ambition leads to the most unnatural acts as he accuses Duncan's sons of being "ambition" personified. Ambition, he suggests, is a cannibal that goes "'gainst nature" to kill its father and "raven up" or, devour the very man who gave it life.

If Ross knew that Macbeth was the man responsible for the murder, would his response be any different than what he says here?

BANQUO

Thou hast it now: King, Cawdor, Glamis, all,

As ... the weird women promised, and I fear

Thou play'dst most foully for't; yet it was said

It should not stand in thy posterity,

But that myself should be the root and father

Of many kings. If there come truth from them

(As upon thee, Macbeth, their speeches shine)

Why, by the verities on thee made good,

May they not be my oracles as well

And set me up in hope? But hush, no more. (3.1.1)

Thought: Earlier, we suggested that Banquo seems to be an honorable guy because, unlike Macbeth, he doesn't murder anyone for self gain. Yet, here, one could argue that Banquo might as well be an accomplice to the King's murder. Though he suspects Macbeth of foul play, he doesn't say a word to anybody. Could it be that his own ambitions prevent him from outing or confronting Macbeth? What do you think?

MACBETH

[…] For mine own good

All causes shall give ... way. I am in blood

Stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more,

Returning were as tedious as go o'er. (3.4.24)

Thought: By comparing his heinous actions to wading through a bloody river, Macbeth suggests that once a man commits a murderous act for his own gain, it's impossible to stop. Turning back would be "tedious." By this point, Macbeth is willing to anything in order to help himself and it's becomes easier for him to commit evil deeds. According to Macbeth, he's got to look out for his own best interests.

MACDUFF

[…] Either thou, Macbeth,

Or else my sword, ... with an unbatter'd edge,

I sheathe again undeeded. There thou shouldst be;

By this great clatter, one of greatest note

Seems bruited. Let me find him, Fortune!

And more I beg not. (5.8.1)

Thought: Macduff's only ambition is to kill Macbeth, the man who has murdered his wife and children. He has no interest in personal gain and is the first character in the play to understand that Fortune rules you, you don't rule Fortune. This is a certain indicator that he'll be the one to take down the tyrant, who is always challenging destiny. (Check out "Quotes" for "Fate and Free Will" for more about this.)

MACBETH

[…]

Wherefore was that cry?

SEYTON

The ... queen, my lord, is dead.

MACBETH

She should have died hereafter;

There would have been a time for such a word.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing. (5.5.2)

Thought: The story of Macbeth and his wife serves as a cautionary tale for the overly ambitious. By the play's end, the once power hungry Lady Macbeth is plagued with guilt and turns to suicide. Macbeth's response to the news of his wife's death is just as bleak. The words "to-morrow, and, to-morrow, and to-morrow" suggest that the world has lost all meaning for him. He says life is a "tale" "full of sound and fury" and, ultimately, the story signifies "nothing." In the end, Macbeth sees himself as nothing more than a character in a story that has absolutely no meaning, which is a pretty depressing point of view.

Of course, this reminds the audience that these words are being spoken by an actor on stage. This self-conscious moment is pretty typical of Shakespeare, who often reflects on the workings of the theater in his plays. In As You Like It, Jaques says something quite similar: "All the world's a stage/ And all the men and women merely players"(2.2.139). The difference between Macbeth and As You Like It, however, is that Jaques, an amused cynic, seems to take some pleasure in the similarities between the theater and the world. Here, Macbeth is full of despair.

Source(s): Macbeth Ambition Quotes Citations follow this format: (Act.Scene.Line). Line numbers correspond to the Norton edition http://www.shmoop.com/macbeth/ambition-quotes.html

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Ambition Quotes in Macbeth?

Scene and lines too!!

Source(s): ambition quotes macbeth: https://tr.im/4dWU2
  • shank

Ambitious Quotes

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax2Xq

the site below mentions many quotes that show ambition. Just be sure to anaylsis them in your own words but u can use what this person has said as an understanding of whats going on

x ijzvdxn xnu

I do not believe that is correct