Is AVG Free compatible with Microsoft Security Essentials?

(I am running on Windows 7 64-bit.) For a long time, I was just running AVG free, but then my computer teacher said that I need to run both AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials. Do they both do the same thing? I want to know if I can get rid of one of them (Security Essentials) because they are taking up RAM.

Best Answer

You should not use two anti-virus programs together. It's because you can seriously mess your system up if you do. To provide full time protection some anti-virus software hooks into system DLLs. Another anti-virus trying to hook into the same DLL may be seen as a threat and you'll start getting false positives as well as slowing your system down.

Some anti-virus programs will find files already found and quarantined by another and so both go into a loop finding each others quarantined files and trying to quarantine it again.

Anti-virus programs use system resourcs when they run, using two uses even more and your computer will slow to a crawl.

No anti-virus is 100% guaranteed to find every virus, that's an impossibility with new viruses and old ones being adapted all the time. Usually it isn't the anti-virus not doing it's job that computers get infected but because most users don't know what they are doing.

For general protection I used to recommend AVG or Avast free editions but I've found that Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ - gives just as good protection but is faster and uses less resources.

The test results from tests that AV-Test.org.did returned good for it as well. It found 98.44% of all viruses and trojans, 90.95% of adware and spyware, 100% of rootkits.

The test at http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10366232-83.html found that it ws only "average" in speed against other anti-virus programs but personally I found it's far less intrusive than most.

The use of any of these programs doesn't mean you can leave common sense behind and click on everything and anything you come across. No security program can be completely safe, as new viruses and variants are developed all the time and this is what makes computers vulnerable to zero-day attacks.

It doesn't matter if your anti-virus program is free or not, they both offer roughly the same degree of protection, except you get help and support with the paid versions. I've had computers that have used the free version AVG for years with no problem and I've worked in companies that have McAfee Enterprise Edition and Microsoft ForeFront where computers have become infected.

2

Source(s): Perfect Antivirus Protection Suite - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?FBEG
  • Sherri

Answer to question; Avast & AVG & MSE Best practice is to use just one product for one thing,and to not have two antivirus installed. Best practice is to use also all from same company.(for best compatibility) But if u know what you are doing then u can mix,but then u will not ask this question,but just follow best practice rule to not install two or more antivirus product. Advice: Avoid MSE. Advice 2: Comodo firewall is really good ,but it will ask you questions,what many don't like,but firewall rules are good only and only if you (owner or administrator) make it. At least that is in Comodo firewall in interactive way, professionals uses and write complex tables,but its same principle of manual entering.(so,answering yes once,yes always,not now,never cant be avoided without losing real protection)

Ignore the last 2 replies.

The answer is no. They are both Anti Virus products and installing both together can cause some serious system problems.

Both have real time checkers which if they attempt to scan the same file at the same time will cause instability and performance issues.

I would recommend uninstalling one or the other.

• MLM

Not a good idea to run more than one antivirus product at a time. Running more than one can cause conflicts thus rendering each ineffective as well as being a huge system resource drain. If you do decide to run both products, make sure that the antivirus component of one or the other is disabled.

To read why it isn't a good idea, see the article below:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.as...

Your teacher has a lot to learn, both MSE & AVG are antivirus programs & you should only run one antivirus program.

I would delete AVG, MSE is lighter than AVG.

Free AVG is a very poor AV.

Source(s): C&G in computers.

Yes it would help, since the Microsoft Security Center has a firewall and AVG Free does not. There is now a 2011 version of AVG out now.

I continue to be surprised that people still insist on using Windows. With Linux you don't need any of that stuff. Just think. No AVG, No Norton, no McAffee, no MS Security Essentials.

• jhparizona6 years agoReport

I too prefer Linux, however, I fail to see how your answer had anything WHAT SO EVER to do with the question. Next time, please either include an answer or refrain from posting anything at ALL

When you have one Anti-Virus. Don't install another Anti-Virus. This can cause a conflict and make them unable to detect viruses. Only have one installed!!!

why do you require micro soft security essentials when avg is the best