Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 9 years ago

How difficult is it for an American citizen to move to Romania?

How difficult is it to get resident/living permit for a non-EU citizen in Romania? I would love to live in the Transylvania region. It is so beautiful and old-world and that is what I really want, and I have Romanian relatives who live in Romania (aunts, uncles). Right now I'm a college student. What are my best chances at making this move in the future?

Favorite Answer

If you are a student in Romania or can prove you have family there or a job, I believe your chances of at least getting some sort of resident permit are good.

At the moment, I am having a mildly difficult time with Hungarian immigration.

My husband of over 35 years and my son are both Hungarin citizens. My husband is also a US citizen as well as my son.

My husband is retired from the US and is receiving ss checks from there, so no strain at all on the Hungarian people, we are spending money in Hungary.

We own an apt. in Hungary too, all paid off.

We just moved to Hungary to stay and have had nothing but one hassle after another with my husband getting his ID cards in order to now me going to get my 5 year resident permit.

We have all sort of papers from the US government offices to prove we are married, collecting funds from the US ect. Not good enough for the Hungarians.

Need more seals and fancy stamps on the papers, maybe even some blood.

We are about ready tojust sell our flat and go back to the US.

Seems they welcome all sorts of people from outside counties but those who are really Hungarian and not taking from the country they want to punish.I would be better off here if I was a refugee from a 3rd world country and asking for a handout instead of spending my money here.

Enough about my problems, Transylvania is very pretty, been there before. Not sure if there are many jobs there and you must lower your expectations from what you expect from a life in the US.

Everything is either more expensive or of lower quality if you don't have a ton of money.

People in these countries are a bit desperate for cash and they can and are a bit rough at times, it's a real dog eat dog world. Good luck, contact the embassy although we did that for Hungary and mostof the web pages are either very old with the wrong addresses listed or the info just isn't available until the crap hits you in the face.

Just saying things are a bit backwards in this neck of the woods.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How difficult is it to get resident/living permit for a non-EU citizen in Romania? I would love to live in the Transylvania region. It is so beautiful and old-world and that is what I really want, and I have Romanian relatives who live in Romania (aunts, uncles). Right now I'm a college...

Source(s): difficult american citizen move romania: https://shortly.im/ekXmF

I think the guy above is wrong Transylvania isn't so poor the poorest part of the country is in the North-Eastern part of Romania. (I live in Transylvania and i don't think it's such a poor region). And about your question you should contact the embassy for information.

• Diane

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avBQ4

What you are asking pertains really Romanian immigration laws. I doubt that you'll find an answer to that question on an U.S. forum.

uscis.gov, search country and entry requirements. You may be limited in length of stay, to become a resident, are you willing to give up your US citizenship?

Usually embassy websites have this information. To my surprise the Romanian embassy doesn't have it. Still, it would be your first point of contact for any reliable information. http://washington.mae.ro/index.php?lang=en

The Transylvania region was, last time I looked anyway, a really poor part of the country. How do you intend to support yourself? Do you already speak the language? If you want to emigrate to a country any official will look a lot more favourable on an application if you have at least given some thought to what you want to do and if you are working on language skills.