How does one become a screenplay writer, producer, and director for the film industry?

I'm 18 years old and I sat fall semester out because I was unsure of what I wanted to do, well, to be honest, I have a lot of interest. I want to be a Doctor/surgeon, I want to be involved in the Law Enforcement, and I want to be involved in the Film Industry. My question is, what courses, division, ETC does one take towards their AA Degree to become a screenplay writer, producer, or director for the film industry and television?

Favorite Answer

Generalities are just that and for the most part they're completely misinformed. Film Schools range in what they offer. Those based at a university offer full degree programs, while smaller schools are more like a technical college. Nobody cares what kind of degree you hold. You can either do something or you cant.

If a director doesn't have a great film under his belt that was the talk of the town or the darling of the festival circuit, he's not going to have a career and a BFA isn't going to do you much good if you can't tell a compelling story as a screenwriter. I know plenty of failed Film School and writing program grads who have the degree but no career because they suck at creating a decent story.

You list three very different fields. Pick the one that is your passion and stick with it. Otherwise you risk expending your energy in too wide a focus, which never ends well. Of the three things you list, Film and TV are the most unstable as far as career choice go.

I'm a produced screenwriter with feature film and TV credits, I also produce.

To become a screenplay writer, producer, and director for the film industry, there is no any certain criteria. The job can be done having involve with any kind of profession. First you become a good doctor or a law expert, than try to understand the process of screenplay writing, the skill of a producer and a director who were doing well in the film industry. You will get the way as you desire to be successful.

Source(s): Theater
  • Pamela

can't really see why. it depicts a futuristic place. i mean they talk about being able to fix spinal and other injuries. as of yet we have not figured that out or even how to get anyplace really far in outer space. yes they are americans and such but as he says in the beginning. what was once honorable soldiers are now just mercenaries working for the big company. it is saying there was some major breakdown in the military's function. someone has forgotten what they are for. if people are seeing a parallel in that movie and what they feel is going on right now well then they should do something about it. avatar is a science fiction movie for fricken sakes. just like fahrenheit 451 and 1984 it shows what could be not what is. if we continue down the paths we are already on. heck you want to talk about a book that is getting freakishly close to what is? read the handmaiden. i think the writers of the movie used history as a pattern to what would happen if a future america found a world in which they found something they saw as profitable. this sad story has been played over and over time and time again with different players (sometimes). it is nothing new and an often repeated mistake. until the 1980's it was still legal to kill a native person of Australia. they also put them in "schools" and forced them to learn English. and that was very recent. we humans do very horrible things to each other why are we supprised when we watch a movie about it happening again. it is not unpatriotic. when did movies have to be patriotic? this is america people we can express ourselves any way we wish. we are not under the control of our government where all movies and shows have to be full of propaganda.

Generally people who work in film went to a film school or took a BA or BFA in film studies.