What is the role, importance, and significance of St. Peter and St. Paul in the Church?

This is for my essay in school. I'm a Muslim so I don't really have much knowledge on the saints but I study in a Catholic school. Please help me. Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

They are considered Apostles, which is a word meaning beyond the mere definition; they held a rare relationship to God which even exceeded prophets. It's like God had Apostles for about a century, who had all the powers of all the offices (if you will) that God could give to men.

"Saint" Peter and "Saint" Paul were designations which appeared way later in church history. Those designations of "Saints" were a part of the Roman Catholic church's administration to declare (in a VERY worldly way), some people above others; that they are canonized into "official sainthood". As with much of Roman Catholicism, it's erroneous to think that God gave any sort of power the any church still on earth. The bible (and yes it is a matter of interpretation), refers to anyone in Christ as being saints (hagios in the Greek language, which can also mean martyr or "dedicated).

Ephesians 1

4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy <--(hagios) and blameless in his sight.

Ephesians 1

1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints <--(hagios) which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Tebone provides the completed answer approximately Peter. Paul became into between the Apostles, an extremely proficient instructor sent out by using the leaders of the Church to unfold the gospel. this is the info that Paul became into under Peter's authority: whilst the Judaizing Christians insisted that converts from paganism to Christianity could be subjected to the regulation of Moses, Paul and Barnabas have been sent from Antioch to Jerusalem, to look for advice from "the apostles and presbyters at Jerusalem approximately this question" (Acts 15:2); and, after a protracted debate, Peter have been given up and suggested to them: "Brethren, you recognize that in the time of early days God made decision between us, that by using my mouth the Gentiles could hear the word of the Gospel and have faith. And God who's conscious of the middle, bore witness by using giving them the Holy Spirit purely as He did to us.... Why then do you presently attempt to purpose God by using putting on the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we've been waiting to undergo? yet we have faith that we are saved in the process the grace of the Lord Jesus, purely as they are" (Acts 15:7-11). Then it became into that "the entire assembly quieted down" (Acts 15:12). Cheers, Bruce

• Tony B

Peter was the principle apostle (disciple) of Jesus, like Ali was to your prophet Muhammad.

Paul was the man who almost single handed, created the Christian religion, by travelling around the Mediterranean world spreading the religion. Without him, Christianity would have been, and remained, just a small sect of Judaism. If I was asked to rank them in order om importance to Christianity, I would place Paul in the number one position. Peter would be third with Jesus in second place.

According to the scriptures Peter was the apostle to the Jews and Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles.

• FROG E

Evangelism.....spreading the good news of the Gospel to the world.

Making a Fool of them self and preach trial in error on to others...lol

it's that clear enough for you...

Source(s): CosmicObserver