Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 years ago

What band from the 1960s- Today, do you feel is important to modern rock, but seems to be...?

...completely overlooked?

I was just wondering this because when I speak with other people in their early twenties and when this topic comes up I always hear the same answers : Floyd, Beatles, Stones, Dylan,Ze...

I was just trying to find some more insight :D

My pick is definitely Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young. It is hard for a mainstream rock album to beat Dejan Vu.

Give me some of your opinions.

Happy New Year!

Favorite Answer

. . . and perfect timing. One of my Christmas presents was a 3-CD deal with songs of the 60s. Listening to them now - some of them are soooooooo awful I can't believe that we thought they were great at the time. But some of them have certainly will passed the test of time.

CS&N is certainly on my list - but I would add perhaps Janis Joplin, Spirit, and who could forget Black Sabbath? I think that Moody Blues have been brought forward with the instrumentalizations in many pieces today.

I would like to think that Jefferson Airplane, (Jefferson Starship, Starship), has had some influence, along with Fleetwood Mac. Gee, how about Creme?

All these great old groups just keep popping up in my mind - and I almost for Carlos Santana - he has so much of an influence that he, thank goodness, is still with us. He has been a HUGE influence and no list for your question should be without him.

Wow! What a trip down memory lane you just gave me! Thanks for reminding me of the many concerts at Fillmore West, Winterland, the first Days on the Green in the SF Bay area, and many many other concerts that I attended (usually for less than $10/concert. Those were the days).

CT

U2

Bruce Springsteen

Dire Straits

Rush

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Elton John

Chicago

Crosby Stills Nash (& Young)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Alan Parsons Project

Alice Cooper

Deep Purple

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Jethro Tull

Santana

Moody Blues

Kinks

The Doors

King Crimson

Blue Oyster Cult

Edgar Winter Group

Nazareth

10cc

Roxy Music

Manfred Mann

The Byrds

The Kinks

The Doors

The Ventures

Janis Joplin/Big Brother & Holding Company

The Animals

The Velvet Underground

Buffalo Springfield

Steppenwolf

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

take care

dave

My choice other than the Kinks (which someone named) would be the Band. Played behind Bob Dylan, some members recorded w/Neil Young and yet they still made their own music. Not much love them here on Y!A.

While I applaud your choice of CSN&Y, the group did originate w/o Neil. People seem to forget that fact. Please don't get me wrong, I adore Neil Young. One of the biggest reasons I love rock so much today but CS&N created music before Neil did Deja Vu with them.

Their 1st album had Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships & Long Time Gone. All rock classics. I guess you could say another overlooked band could be Buffalo Springfield (which had Stills, Young, Richie Furay (later w/Poco) & Jim Messina (Loggins & Messina fame). Any greater anthem than "For What It's Worth"?

Happy New Year to you as well. May your year be filled with happiness, health & prosperity!

• slyton

Opeth Dream Theater Fates warning Haken outer edge Nevermore Redemption between the Buried and Me Porcupine Tree gadget Cynic Oficina G3 Symphony X Evergrey Pagan's thoughts SikTh Orphaned Land soreness of Salvation Dominici starting to be the Archetype Meshuggah Textures Riverside The Human precis King's X Mastodon Baroness Amorphis Protest the Hero BQ: guy, that's complicated! i'm sorry, yet i admire Steven Wilson. i admire Russell Allen, too. BQ2: i'm listening to Nile precise now.

Well defo Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young, my favourite is 4 Way Street.

The Kinks - as some wise person has already mentioned.

The Beatles - Must be.

Alice Cooper.

John Mayalls Bluesbreakers.

Pink Floyd - just coming thru in bands like The Orb.

I know I have missed some, these are hard questions.

There you are The Small Faces, as mentioned by another wise person.

Source(s): Personal memories.

In addition to The Doors, The Stooges, and The Velvet Underground, which have already been mentioned, I think Santana should be listed as well. Ask any classic rock fan (or perhaps a rock fan in general?) if Carlos Santana is a skillful and/or innovative guitarist and they'll usually say yes, but if you instead ask that fan to list his/her top say, 15 guitarists, they'll probably forget about him. Santana (not just the guitar player this time) had a technical yet soulful aura about them, and have created magnificent songs over the years, but, at least in my experience, are overlooked by most.

Have you ever listened to the Small Faces. Steve Marriot had a voice to die for, and whilst in the UK they could be said to be in the shadow of The Who, they were a great Band, a term I do not use lightly.

"Tin Soldier"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKZoFRpZCI

Youtube thumbnail

"Here come the nice"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1V_2A7i59U

Youtube thumbnail

"All or nothing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhmbL8TvcKE

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Edit: Deja Vu is a really class Album, one I am proud to say I own. Happy Easter!

• vtd288

The Velvet Underground

The Stooges

• ?

I agree with Just another pothead.

But following with the clear fact that the doors were an actual good band, and the beatles didn't deserve the success they got. Just way to many brits started liking it, and once it made pop - the rest of the world fornicated over it.

I myself don't know any beatles fans (Perhaps i made it that way), but it seems (from certain answers) that the young beatles fans of today are only fans because ther were brought up listening to it.

The doors you can listen to one day and like.

As you can see, i think the beatles are the most overrated band in the world - EVER.

• John A

Yes-I think Neil Young is really overlooked. I think Led Zeppelin were awesome songwriters. Bruce Springsteen is brilliant too. Jackson Browne, Jim Croce and James Taylor are superior songwriters and musicians to boot.